• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dosage of Gabapentin?

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Boo is my 12 yo DNA sexed male Quaker. Since puberty he has mutilated under his right wing every spring. Long story short; it’s gone on 6 months now, he reacted to haloperidol, he’s been wearing a fleece soft collar, has a humidifier, air purifier, has been on avicalm , Harrison’s food with vegetables,WHEW. My vet wants to try gabapentin or neurontin. It’s hard to get medication down him. If your Quaker is on neurontin, what is the dose? Sorry sooo long.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know the exact dosage for a Quaker, but my GW macaw at 1100gm is on 0.10 cc once a day. So your Quaker would have a very small dose.

Reactions: tjc

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My senior citizen male tiel, Snuggles, picks at himself, so the vet put him on 0.01 ml of Gabapentin for pain. It’s just a speck of a dose. A tiny amount. I don’t really know if it helps. Maybe he would be in more pain if he was not on it. We tried the collar, but he stopped eating and drinking, so I took it away. He could not climb, either.

3CB912EE-E1E0-483D-9C88-37C0E1DB4C3E.jpeg

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Thanks both of you. You answered my question perfectly.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine are on fairly high doses comparably. 66 gram green cheek conures... 0.1 and 0.12ml...

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sam, my quaker takes .12cc twice daily. I cant remember right now the ratio of gabapentin in the bottle though. I think its 20 or so. He takes it to help deal with his nervous system issues caused by a stroke/sezuire. Hes been on it quite a while, increasing dosage over time. But he does well on it. He takes this in combination with several other meds.

Sam was also on haloperidol for a period when he was younger. Didn't really do much for him. Sadly, the only thing that made him stop plucking, was his stroke.

Reactions: tjc

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sadly, the only thing that made him stop plucking, was his stroke.
:sadhug2:

Dr. Orosz has a quaker patient who is on a crazy high dose. But the poor quaker was picking so badly, they just increased until he stopped. Said he is back to his happy self. I'd rather have a super high dose and a happy bird. I take it for nerve pain in my neck and I actually think their dose might be higher than mine in comparison. Mine is a 300 mg capsule three times a day and theirs is a 300 mg capsule mixed with 2mls of water.

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Thanks everyone for your information. Sadly, after 2 months on gabapentin, Boo has continued to harm himself plucking. My vet and I are stopping the gabapentin and moving to Prozac next week.