• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DONT USE THIS TOWEL!!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OMG, my mom got them for me at Wal-Mart..there's no label,,they're the kind that feel "Sticky on your hands..I was cooking and grabbed this to wipe up a spill on the stove..IT MELTED...on my glass burner,,,which was on low.. it smelled like melted plastic! I turned the hood on high, opened the Windows and doors..the birds seem ok, but, I am watching them...threw those towels in the trash...now I have use a razor blade to get this melted crap off my stove..
20171219_140600.jpg
20171219_141131.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
yikes! That's for alerting us! Hope the air clears up quickly. Air pollution is so very stressful! We had a case of it last month and I agonized all day about it!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If it isn't too late, fish one out and post a pic of towel and label. I'd also try an contact Walmart and complain. That's not only dangerous to birds but to people, children and is a general safety hazard. A towel shouldn't melt - burn yes - melt no. That is scary but I'm glad that your fids are okay.

Sorry, should have mentioned look at the towel tag for content as in 70% cotton/30% polyester. I always feel what I'm buying and look at the content but one can't really do that with a gift.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
They’re microfibre. You can tell with dry hands how you can’t let go of them. They’re sold all over.
I find when I’m wiping a spill on the hot burner (to avoid it cooking on) I have to really soak the dish rag and not squeeze the water out or it will stick to the burner. Microfibre rag and ceramic stovetop.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are. I was looking at a couch made of the microfibre fabric and remarked at it would not last long around our cat. The salesman said it would stand up, but no, I don’t think so.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What does microfiber mean anyway?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are. I was looking at a couch made of the microfibre fabric and remarked at it would not last long around our cat. The salesman said it would stand up, but no, I don’t think so.

I have a microfiber couch. It has not survived a toddler well. It's only 4 or 5 years old and we are already looking at replacing it :/ Your instincts are right!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will stick to cotton.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yikes! I’m glad the birdies seem okay!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I really don't understand the high demand for microfiber at all! I much prefer cotton!

I am so glad your fids are okay!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes and when you clean with them in the bird room, stuff sticks like glue forever. Hubby won’t use them. Hates the way they feel.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a microfiber couch. It has not survived a toddler well. It's only 4 or 5 years old and we are already looking at replacing it :/ Your instincts are right!

Oh boy. I can see where it would not be toddler friendly. Wasabi would puncture that fabric in two seconds.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Oh boy. I can see where it would not be toddler friendly. Wasabi would puncture that fabric in two seconds.
If beaks can "distress" fabric like denim anything flimsier is gone in a nanosecond. Oh, hubby was duly impressed by the wet Wasabi photo and his water bowl.