• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

dont know where to put this..emergency ? about my dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
called my vet i think my 13lb boston ate one of my xanax .25mg he is very sleepy emergency vet seems to think all will be ok..she says they give to calm dogs down..he is so sleepy responsive but sleepy anyone ever use xanax

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
dont know where to put this to get responce im scared he is so aleepy got ahold of my vet at home taking him to vet....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Moved it to 911. I hope he will be alright, Tanya. Good idea to call Poison Control!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Here are the numbers

Adrian
Bixby Hospital Poison Center
Emma L. Bixby Hospital
818 Riverside Avenue
Adrian, MI49221
(517) 263-2412

Detroit
Poison Control Center
Children's Hospital of Michigan
3901 Beaubien Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48201
Outside metropolitan Detroit
(800) 462-6642 (MI only)
(313) 745-5711

Grand Rapids
Blodgett Regional Poison Center
1840 Wealthy Street, South East
Grand Rapids, MI 49506
Within MI: (800) 632-2727

Kalamazoo
Bronson Poison Information Center
252 East Lovell Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
(800) 442-4112 616 (MI only)
(616) 341-6409

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
I think he'll be fine, Tanya. IF anything, get his stomach pumped, to try and get the rest out of there.

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Hi. Don't think you need to worry. My dog has been on prescription xanax for a few years and her dose .25. She's an 18 lb. terrier.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
New Toll-free Poison Control Number:
The ASPCA has a new poison control hotline phone number for pets. If you have reason to suspect that your pet may have been exposed to something toxic, either internally or externally, this phone number will connect you with an ASPCA veterinarian specially trained to assist pet owners or other vets. This is the only dedicated animal poison control hotline in the world manned by veterinarians, not telephone operators. The number is staffed 24/7.

(888) 4ANI-HELP or (888) 426-4435
http://www.oaklandweb.com/pets/pet_emergency_care.htm

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I'm surprised they did not tell you to induce vomiting with Peroxide

That's what i was told to do when Sheba got a hold of something (not pills but ya she shouldn't of gotten it) and I thought she was dying! she slept, she had sever muscle spasms if you put your hands near her (like a scared dog who was beat would ) she couldn't even stand on her own 2 legs, or walk and she's only 17 pounds

she did throw up a little bit of it but not much and not enough to get it out of her system, her breathing was pretty much non see able. I had to go bend down beside her to see if she was breathing because you couldn't tell just by looking over at her

Of course i had no peroxide and it was midnight no store was open close enough

But she was fine the next day and she did NOT learn her lesson!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
oh and even if the dog version and human version is the same MG I don't think it actually is the same mg. I would think animals would be much less potent even if the mg was the same as a humans since humans weigh a lot more then small dogs do and Human meds are prescribed by weight of the person

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
She gets the prescription brand of xanax...alprozolam (spelling?) or whatever it is called. She was on a dog prescription chloricalm for a while but the vet eventually put her on xanax and the vet did tell me it is the exact same stuff that people take. As a matter of fact my boyfriend has taker her pills a few times when he was really stressed. I really shouldn't admit to that:o: Anyway I give it to her on an as needed basis it does usually make her pretty tired. The vet initially prescribed it as a daily medicine for her anxiety but I didn't like that it made her so tired even though her chilled behavior was nice for me. Hope this helps. I really do think she'll be ok.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oh and even if the dog version and human version is the same MG I don't think it actually is the same mg. I would think animals would be much less potent even if the mg was the same as a humans since humans weigh a lot more then small dogs do and Human meds are prescribed by weight of the person

Kelli - the medication for dogs and humans is the same drug, there is no difference

often dogs have to have a higher dosage per pound than humans due to the way their systems process the drug

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
As far as the dosage I thought the same thing. I was shocked my tiny terrier was prescribed .25 when my boyfriend has been prescribed .50 but my dr. said something about the way humans and dogs metabolize or digest meds. Don't remember exactly but she did explain it.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Kelli - the medication for dogs and humans is the same drug, there is no difference

often dogs have to have a higher dosage per pound than humans due to the way their systems process the drug
Oh ok
Well I learned something new today LOL

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Thank you all so much..my vet and poison control confirm that he will be fine and will sleep it off atleast he will get sleep i prob will spend all night staring at his breathing thank you all for the quick responces i was very scared

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.