• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yeah Roger!!! Sounds to me like you have and are making decisions that are allowing Roger to thrive in his new home!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Go Rodger! It seems like you made a great decision, and I bet he becomes a really wonderful flyer in no time!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure if there were any risks to your procedure, that's the only thing that would've made me hesitate.

All I know for sure is that Roger the loger flew!!!! Wooo whoo!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm not sure if there were any risks to your procedure, that's the only thing that would've made me hesitate.

All I know for sure is that Roger the loger flew!!!! Wooo whoo!
Good point. There's always risks when introducing birds, even two of the same species. As it turned out in this case Roger is not really a threat, just too young so too 'forward' for Tau.
I have to rethink things anyway, now Roger is regaining his wings. While not accomplished fliers both now have a means of escape.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sat watching him this afternoon he's making great progress. He is exploring his cage and everything in it. He's also exploring outside his door. His toy of choice at the moment is the perch outside his door. He has set himself the task of stripping the bark from it. He's a bar licker too. He'll latch on with his beak and just lick away. He is also destroying every sisal rope perch he can find. He has found the cotton boing but it seems too easy to destroy so he's ignoring it.
Right now he's trying to find the seed dish, exactly 5 minutes before I put it back in it's cage. So there's nothing wrong with his body clock.
He's still unapproachable now, but he is communicating his wants to me, and giving me hours of fun watching him play and figure things out. He's excellent at using his foot as a hand. He's bigger than a gcc, but so reminds me of one.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And he FLIES. His previous flight ended up safely on the floor, but today he maintained height and flew a small circle returning safely to his cage. His reaction to this? A quick retreat to his roost to work out what the heck just happened. There'll be no stopping him now :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All good news on Roger. I wonder why a bird licks metal bars? Is it a chemical imbalance or just something to do?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
All good news on Roger. I wonder why a bird licks metal bars? Is it a chemical imbalance or just something to do?
That's a puzzler isn't it? The coating is pretty tough, but he's not biting it anyway. The cages get a thorough clean weekly so he shouldn't be able to taste anything. Maybe he just likes the cold on his tongue?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And his second flight today takes him to the play area. I think he was expecting Tau to be there, he usually is. Once he realised he made his way home, and back to his roost. He has changed as well. It's not a big change but now when I pass the cage he stays wherever he is rather than running away.
_20191015_223011.JPG

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And so much more is changing. I was looking at him this morning and it struck me how much richer the new feathers coming through are. His adult plumage should be almost red in colour from what I'm seeing right now. I couldn't be happier, my rag-tag scruffbag is turning into a Prince.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like we had any doubts that his frog self would become his Prince self w/ all your careful care & monitoring!

:bighug::hug7:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is what I'm saying about his plumage:
_20191021_095932.JPG
I can't wait to see that richness show all over. He's already developing some rich patches on his breast though he seems to have stopped his moult for now. C'mon Roger!