• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My crimson loved to whistle the Mayberry theme. Just pick a tune you like and do it several times a day ...
He does repeat a few phrases from tunes I'm finding hard to recognise. I'll have to get some recordings but I think they'll be older tunes (before my time at least). I do whistle when I'm doing anything in the kitchen but I can't hear if he's repeating anything.
The MASH theme does seem to be a trigger for him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its a shame you don't know more about his history that would help in this rehab period but Rogers is sure with the right person for understanding and patience. How much does he weigh?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Roger sounds like he’s settling in wonderfully, and I love hearing his progress. He sounds like such a sweet bird. :heart: A year from now just think what your relationship will be like!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I always considered Tiel to be the most laid back parrot. That was before I met Roger. I watch him from a distance going about his 'normal' and there's just no rush in him. There was at first when he wanted to meet Tau but he seems to have hit a comfortable rhythm now.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Things are definitely developing between the two boys. When Tau is out of the cage they both seem to be communicating with each other. Today marks Tau's first adventure into Roger's side of the cage. He's had a good look around, played with his toys, ate his food and all without a reaction from Roger. Tau is giving him regular head-down sideways glances and begging for scritches (he definitely needs some), I even caught him strutting and giving 'heart wings' but still without any reaction. Roger is watching with interest but not reacting. He's just soooo laid back.
So we have nothing territorial happening. No defense of food or favourite toys. Both are really exploring both sides of the cage and they are happily sharing.
I know now is not the time to get complacent. If I go anywhere or do something distracting I am seperating them, but things may be looking good for their futures. I won' t leave them, events are that interesting.

*additional*

Witnessed Roger using his preen gland while preening for the first time today. Maybe Tau has awakened something in him, I won't put any human act against that. Roger has also started communicating in different ways. Right now he's clucking, a quietish deep chatter, sounds happy. Tau is still calling me when I leave the room, so I'm not being left out of the flock.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...things are moving along...good show...:)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! I :heart:hearing how well things are developing @ your home!!! :highfive:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
A male Tiel will usually display to a female by lifting his wings at the 'shoulders. From the back they make a heart shape. From the front it looks like this:
Not my video.
...oh my yes...we've seen a LOT of heart wings in our time...Igor was displaying them yesterday, in fact...he was just a happy bird....:heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Another little change. The divider is staying in, they won't be venturing into each other's cages any more. Don't worry, nothing bad is happening, more a prevention than intervention.
The reason? Tau stops singing when the divider is removed and when Roger in in Tau's side of the cage Tau has started his territorial display.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Things are progressing now with Roger, which has brought to a point where I have to confess a secret I've been keeping,not because I'm ashamed just that I don't know how peeps will react, so here goes:
When the vet offered the T4 therapy to induce a moult he also offered another option. He offered to remove the clipped feathers under sedation, and I went for it after @fashionfobie suggested the implants. I've heard about this before and I know sometimes a bird will pluck a damaged feather to replace it. It's more natural than a chemical therapy, quicker than waiting for a moult, relatively painless, and considering he's not a companion bird and needs to fly I think the right thing to do.
It's paying off. Today he came out of the cage for the second time ever, and he took his first ever flight. I knew he was going to, he was pacing to and fro by the door twitching his wings. His flight was level for 6 feet and finished with a skid.
I'm happy with that decision now.
I don't care if he never sits on my hand, or never steps up. So long as he feels safe enough with me to come out of the cage and enjoy some wing time I'll be happy. If at any time in the future I get concerned about his wellbeing I will consider other options.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Another little change. The divider is staying in, they won't be venturing into each other's cages any more. Don't worry, nothing bad is happening, more a prevention than intervention.
The reason? Tau stops singing when the divider is removed and when Roger in in Tau's side of the cage Tau has started his territorial display.
..sounds like a very prudent thing to do...