• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What a beautiful bird. I love that sound. I bet Tau is gonna start mimicking him, if that's the only sound Roger makes lol. So sweet.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't wait to hear more from Roger! Jeff used to immediately stop singing when he heard my footsteps, I spent a lot of time tiptoeing over and trying to sneak my phone past the door :lol:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I can't wait to hear more from Roger! Jeff used to immediately stop singing when he heard my footsteps, I spent a lot of time tiptoeing over and trying to sneak my phone past the door :lol:
That's the problem I have. So my phone spends most of the day clipped to the side of his cage and I use a bluetooth headset. But when it takes a full day of videoing to get just a few minutes of footage worth viewing........
The other problem I have now is he has started to move around the cage. So where do I stick my phone next?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Great progress. He is now coming down to the bottom of the cage to eat when I'm sat at the far end of the sofa. If I slowly move myself across the sofa over the next few weeks I reckon I'll be able to sit right at the side of the cage while he eats. Also, his cage door has been open all day for a few days now. He hasn't come out yet but he does occasionally sit at the entrance. He will step up onto a perch now (inside his cage) for a hemp seed in his pellet dish. I think he was regularly handled by someone who showed him a lot of respect, but the places he's been between then and now have been a traumatic experience for him (just my opinion based on observations).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm taking Roger back to the vet. There is something wrong and I hope it's nothing more than the malnutrition. Looking at Roger's feathers in the cold light of day something has been going on for quite a while. All his feathers are mis-shapen, twisted. if it's just malnutrition then I'll feel a lot happier, but it must have been chronic for a while to affect his coat like this bad. He has a load of blood feathers in his tail, and whilst I was happy to see him on top of his cage I'm not happy to see the blood on his rump. I found 3 broken tail feathers on the floor, there may be more, my main concern was Roger. Corn flour has done the trick for now and I'm taking the tin with me just in case.
I'm going to insist on a retest for PBFD. God, I hope it isn't, but if it is I'll accept nothing less than free residential treatment for both him and Tau while I sterilise this place.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m hoping for the best outcome possible :bluhug:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Of course I was a bit dumb. There is no treatment, unless veterinary science has made massive progress in the last couple of years that I'm not aware of.
I'm sat on the train (early, have to wait 10) so I've been looking at the feathers. First one out of the envelope it a breast feather he lost while handling. Twisted and a heck of a lot of down at the bottom. Then it hits me, this feather branches at the root. 2 feathers in one. That can't be right can it? I've never seen anything like that in my life.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Oh no, I’m praying for a good outcome here!
Good on you for being so observant, I hope it’s something that can be treated easily. :sadhug2:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Bloods have been taken and the results will be ready Monday. While the double feather is intriguing it's nothing to worry about apparently. Roger has a few more that the vet found but it's hardly an outbreak. More likely just a mutation, but then Roger is his first Rosella. So just like some humans get freckles I suppose. I'll try and grab pics of the errant feather to post later, for now I have to talk Roger down from the top corner of his cage. He's not on a perch, he's stuffed himself in the corner. He's not happy.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Some pics. Amazing I can get better pics of a feather than I can of the birb it came off.
Nice normal colourful fluffy feather:
_20190914_163154.JPG

Okay. Back side of the same feather:
_20190914_163228.JPG

Still looks quite normal right?
Here's why it's so fluffy:
_20190914_163304.JPG

The extra section off to the right (which would be under when attached) like a branch. Wierd or what? I've never seen this before in all the birbs I've had.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that’s so weird! I bet his odd shaped feathers are from malnutrition, and I hope the test results come back fine!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending healthy thoughts your way! How long does the tests the vet is running take?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sending healthy thoughts your way! How long does the tests the vet is running take?
They have their own labs so major health observations (microscopy) can be same day, blood chemistry the next day and bio 3 days, but we have Sunday in the way of course. There is a tech in the lab on Sundays but we pay extra for the privilege of her services. The only thing done offsite is DNA I think, not 100% sure.
The whole thing, with them handling rescues as well, is a massive operation. If it wasn't for my little fellas I'd probably be working there myself, which has been suggested.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just had to take a pic of the broken tail feathers. I think the colouring of these birds is unique and quite beautiful. Opportunity here for a jewellery maker at his next moult.
_20190915_093802.JPG
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do, every day.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just had to take a pic of the broken tail feathers. I think the colouring of these birds is unique and quite beautiful. Opportunity here for a jewellery maker at his next moult.
View attachment 315162
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do, every day.
Wow, those would make beautiful earrings!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've made my decision.
Tau is now back to as normal as can be (I challenge anyone to define 'normal' in a parrot. He's just a normal Tau.
Both birbs are full of song in the morning, they are my alarm clock. Their song is sweet and seems happy. Even though they have no time together out of the cage they seem to want to be close to each other. When Tau goes down the cage to eat Roger will climb down the partition at the same level watching him closely. When they roost it's as close as they can comfortably get, about 9 inches. I caught Tau on the partition this morning watching Roger get busy with the pellets. Roger is singing right now and it's such an uplifting sound, so happy. He still doesn't want to get to know me, unless Tau is on me. Whenever I move in the room he scuttles to the back of the cage. He'll take some work but he'll come around to the idea of a human friend.
Yes, I've made my decision.