• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@fashionfobie The vet has said he's okay with doing implants but as we don't know his age it may be that there could be a moult at any time. It could start tomorrow for all we know. As he's been clipped for a while and is well aware he can't fly properly I think it's best to just leave it. Thank you so much for the suggestion though.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@fashionfobie The vet has said he's okay with doing implants but as we don't know his age it may be that there could be a moult at any time. It could start tomorrow for all we know. As he's been clipped for a while and is well aware he can't fly properly I think it's best to just leave it. Thank you so much for the suggestion though.
Yay! At least you know you have that option if he doesn't fall into moult soon :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Roger! :)

...a bird with a fragile soul needs a special person that understands that...you're the right person for him, Linden...:yes3:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva forum 'quotes' shortcut isn' t working but I want to revisit a point you made:

It's in his notes that before surrender he was kept in an aviery with a mix of other birds. His wing is so heavily clipped that he can't maintain level flight so he ended up on the floor all the time. I imagine he would have been bullied a lot.
Explains a lot, thanks for making me think about it.
I guess being bullied would depend on the other species he was kept with. As a lone crimson in an aviary with other birds he would certainly be less confident. Pretty cruel to clip one wing in an aviary where they have room to fly. If he couldn't go up to reach perches unless he could climb up wire then he might not have had choice to go up higher. Crimsons like to forage on the ground as well. In an aviary setting that would be poor if he was eating any dropped food that could be contaminated by the feces of the other birds. Under your care his plumage should improve remarkably!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well, it's taken 3hrs of video to produce this small clip. Not doing that again. You'll hear youtube in the background, I had that playing on a loop for the whole 3hrs. Yep, he's that shy.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well, it's taken 3hrs of video to produce this small clip. Not doing that again. You'll hear youtube in the background, I had that playing on a loop for the whole 3hrs. Yep, he's that shy.
:heart::heart::heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Roger is cute.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So glad Tau is happier and Roger is too! And he's going to be so beautiful when all his feathers are back.
Talking of Tau. His eye has been open since yesterday, and this afternoon he started singing again. I feel it would have been a couple more weeks without Roger's influence.:D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

:xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: Adorable!!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please keep us updated on Roger. He is a very interesting bird.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Roger is so cute,:heart:and I’m glad Tau’s eye is healing and he’s singing again!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Well, we appreciate your three hours of work! He looks very relaxed. In a few short months Roger should have some beautiful plumage!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Roger certainly is a handsome guy.

He certainly is a "work in progress"....and with you there to help and support him, he'll do fine...:)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
24 little hours later. You can clearly see the butchery to his right wing, and don't worry about that bolt. It's just a 'feature' that he enjoys scratching his head on. Still thinking of removing it though. When he disappears off screen to the right near the camera he's going to grab a pellet. He has gotten over his fear of the camera to eat TOP'S PELLETS of all things!

Last edited:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Roger makes such a beautiful sound! Obviously as a tiel owner I am not used to other bird noises, but to me it sounds so unique!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
24 little hours later. You can clearly see the butchery to his right wing, and don't worry about that bolt. It's just a 'feature' that he enjoys scratching his head on. Still thinking of removing it though. When he disappears off screen to the right near the camera he's going to grab a pellet. He has gotten over his fear of the camera to eat TOP'S PELLETS of all things!

Roger's progress continues! :thumbsup:

I see his right wing...nasty chop, to be sure.

Is the scratching on the bolt becoming a habit...if so, I'd remove it...if it's not bad, consider leaving it for the time being.

His "song" is beautiful...;)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is the scratching on the bolt becoming a habit...if so, I'd remove it
It's not a habit (yet). He'll stop a couple of times a day for a quick scritch. I'm aware of it and watching though.
His "song" is beautiful
Roger makes such a beautiful sound!
You haven't heard a thing. I look forward to the day I can catch him on full song. He has a huge vocabulary, a lot more than the contact calls you're hearing. @Khizz It is unique. It's louder in the videos than real life. About as loud as a small bell. Really rather pleasing to the ear.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He makes me miss my rosella. There better never be one available around my area! This is why I don't look at craigslist.... unless you guys peak my interest to see what's there but as a rule... I avoid it. I did look last night though... and saw someone rehoming their blue and gold and red fronted macaws. I posted it to the rehome section.