• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Domesticated Russian foxes

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sure some of you have heard about as we have some many animal lovers here. If you haven't here their wikipedia page to catch you up to speed
Domesticated red fox - Wikipedia

I've been fascinated by these foxes since I've first heard about them years ago. It's such a extraordinary glimpse into domestication and tameness. It's nice to see what's going on with some them now.
I'm so curious what will become of them. I do hate seeing them in the Russian lab on the wire bottom cages though. That makes me cringe. And I have mix feeling as to should we being domesticating foxes? Part of me thinks it's really cool and I love to meet one some day. But other part of me worries about the animal welfare implications of it all.

Still there no there's no denying the science of it is fascinating

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, that is fascinating! :geek: I don't see anything wrong with it any more than pet birds as long as they're respected. I agree, I don't like the wire flooring but at least it keeps them out of their own filth since those are not tame enough to be handled directly. It sounds like the project doesn't get much funding which is sad. It wouldn't take much more, I don't think, to build better environments for the foxes.

I've fancied them too after seeing cute videos posted online, but I think the whole "pooping on the counter" part may have cured me. :wtf:

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've fancied them too, after seeing cute videos posted online, but I think the whole "pooping on the counter" part may have cured me. :wtf:
:lol: Me too! I use to think I'd really like to have one as pet but that video is a good dose of reality :wideyed: Still it would be cool meet one