• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dome top Or Flat Top Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
I am trying to decide between a dome topped cage and a flat top. Both Cages are close in size except the Dome top is 2 inches longer in depth and a half inch wider. I always thought i liked the dome topped cages better until i got Daisy's cage then, i found I like the flat topped cages a lot. The dome sits up a little higher than the flat top. Which Sam has been used to being up higher. I guess this is what is causing the toss up for me. The Flat top comes in a couple of colors i like, but with the dome top i would have to get black. The dome top is also 20$ more. So do i Pay 20$ more to get a cage that sits up higher and is an okay color or get a cage that sits lower that my bird might not like as well and have the color i like better? Oh and the flat top has a play top that may or may not use, but the dome top has a double door that flips out. Ahh decisions.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
For us, dome cages are better. I don't like they playing on their cages, it is too high to reach too. I like that they have some extra space, and I think it looks a little nicer too. Both the macaws love to be up top in the dome part, they both choose to sleep there even though they have tons of other places, they always pick that spot.

Sierra_N_Fids

Thanks I think I am leaning towards the dome top, because I think Sam will be happier, also I think we will get more use out of the door that flips out rather than the play top.

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
We went with the dome top for our African Grey :) And we love it!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Both of mine are dome tops. Secret has a "U" shaped soft perch in the top back part - it's THE place to be in that cage.

MC has a dome top also - and it's great to hang toys in.

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
Domes are better because they offer extra space. :)

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I purchased a dome top recently and the frames are not flush around the dome section. I am trying to return it because I am afraid a foot may get stuck in between. Please check yours to be safe.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i much prefer a flat topped cage. with or without a playtop. i'm 4ft 10in tall, so all but a tabletop budgie cage is taller than me. :p nothing a stepstool cant fix. all of mine hang out on top of their cages, eat snacks, play fetch, or just preen.

of course, this is 100% an opinion situation. there is no RIGHT answer. i'm sure the parrot will find benefits as well as disadvantages no matter which you choose. ;)

Last edited:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
For me, play tops are better because my birds spend more time uncaged than caged and the top provides a good place to play with foot toys, chew pinecones and logs, roll balls, etc. I have one dome top, one opera top with the flap in front like you describe and all the rest are play tops. My birds prefer to sleep in the play tops also.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I have been through many cages in the past 20 years. Domes are great if you have room and many other playstands. Open top, double doors or drop down doors are nice but mine didn't use them much and a perch on the door is as good as a drop down (now if someone put that perch on a hinge to fold up when not in use I would like to buy one.)

I am moving and downsizing now and I got a large cage with playtop. The birds love playtops for the same reason Kathy mentioned. They can also bath up there and strut their stuff at the same time. I have tons of playstands that unfortunately will not all fit. I am only keeping a couple and the cage playstands will do.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I like flat with play top. It allows my birds more freedom and places to entertain themselves

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My flat top cages are 6ft tall (double macaw cage and giant double macaw cages) and I do prefer these two style vs dome tops.

I have a victorian top and a 2 play tops and a flight cage which is flat top.

I think the extremely large cages I prefer the flat tops.l as my birds are not allowed on the ones in the bedroom.

In the living room I prefer the play tops. I wish I could replace Mobys double macaw cage that's in the dining room with a playtop that's just as long as it is. However Moby may not like that, he likes the height of his big cage too.

So its really up to you and your opinions and what works for your birds:)

I like what Beth said. There are advantages and disadvantages.:)

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
I prefer flat with a playstand. It works better for us than the dome!

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
We have a cage where the top opens to create a "play place" of sorts with a perch. The front of the cage has a door that is quite large and swings open. In reality its actually a small parrot sized cage. I like the big doors because if Luca is ever in a "mood" and I need to reach in I have plenty of room and I can stay out of his space (same reason that I like that the top opens up). Changing out toys, perches, etc is always a breeze. He loves to play on the top of the cage and it has helped in teaching him to play independently. We can sit in the room and read or do some other quiet activity and open all the doors. He will run and climb all over the cage and play with any foot toys he has.

In the end you just have to figure out what is best for your birds and your lifestyle. Living where we do we have few "exotic" pet stores and only have bird shows twice a year (two months apart) so we save all year to stock up on everything in two months! As a result we currently only have one small play gym so the pseudo play top cage that we have has been a life saver!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Those open tops are very dangerous. Please take caution.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
The open top cage I have is wired shut. Way too dangerous for my birds. I didn't even know the •••• top opened until Rose lifted it one day from the inside and almost got her neck caught! I would never, ever buy another cage like that. This one I've had forever, since I had Maui (CAG, r.i.p.) and it's one of those heavy HQs I think with the horrible triangle food door closures. It's still in great shape and good for a single bird so I keep it. If I had one bird maybe it would be okay with the perch spanned between the open top flaps. But if I were to do that now someone would for sure get pooped on. :)

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
I use flat tops cages with play tops. My grey loves his and I just got a new playtop cage for my baby BH

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Thank you Mercedez and Kathy! I never considered how dangerous Luca's cage could be. I will keep that in mind in the future :)

abcdevonn

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Devon
Churro loves her flat play top cage for different reasons than she loves her dome top. They both offer different things. She loves that her flat cage has a gym area, and she spends a good amount of time there everyday entertaining herself.

Her dome top at my parent's house is MUCH bigger, so she uses all the space by flying from perch to toy to perch, which is really nice for her, but I do think she misses the play top space.

Status
Not open for further replies.