• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dome Top Cage Gym Tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather R.

Moving in
I have been looking for pictures, without much success, of fid's dome top cages with gyms and play areas set up that don't involve hanging anything from the ceiling or having another cage/stand next to the main cage. The reason for this is that I am getting Sophie a "Living room/Travel Cage" that will stay in the living room where she can be with the family all day. But the cage will be small enough in depth that it can fit through most hotel room doors and I want a dome top to make up for lost space in depth. But the reason I am asking for pictures for gyms on tops of dome cages is that it will be easy to transport, with no extra stands involved and I obviously can't start drilling holes into the ceiling like I can at home :p. This is the cage I am going to get .....I think..... Amazon.com: Large Wrought Iron Bird Cage Parrot Cages Macaw Dometop 36"x26"x65" *Green Vein*: Pet Supplies

At home she will have ropes, nets, toys hanging from the ceiling, and I can get her some stands, boings, etc to enrich her play area but I don't want her to be without entertainment when we travel so I just want to prepare so I cant adjust things to what she likes and what works best for her and still be ok for traveling.
I would love any ideas and input!!

mimisaur

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bec
I have a cage with a dome top and I really hate it. Well, maybe not hate, but strongly dislike... :lol:I find it annoying to hangs thing from, the dome top makes everything you hang up a different height, and if you don't have any spare rope or hardware to make a toy longer or shorter it can be annoying because you can't stick most perches on the curved/dome edges... not easily, anyway. Or maybe it's just me! I'm actually getting rid of my cage and getting a square shaped one for this reason, among others. If you're not going to be hanging toys or bowls up the top, I can't see it becoming a problem, but I find it really frustrating to arrange things with a dome top cage.

7DeadlySins

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I don't know where you are, but there is one almost exactly like that for sale here in Kelowna for $150

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I think I'll always have to go with flat top cages just because I like to feed meals there(keeps the inside clean longer):hehe: I think dome tops and others are much prettier though.:rolleyes:
Hmmm....if I had a dome top and another place to feed the birds away from cage, I'd probably get at least these things:

Super Bird Creations Activity Wall *NEW* - NEW ITEMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
OR:
Super Bird Creations Foraging Pouch *NEW* - NEW ITEMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
AND:
Golden West Grapevine Cage Top Perch - CAGE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I can't seem to find it, but it looks like a big hook that you screw/clip to the cage and hang a toy from it.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I love my dome top cages and so do my birds. They enjoy the extra head room and the fact that their sleeping perch is high in the cage. You do have to be a bit more creative with toy hanging.

You can make your own play top by getting manzanita perches that attach vertically to the top of the cage with a nut/bolt and washers, or being creative with rope perches. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Dome topps are prettier, BUT... They are a pain when you want to hang toys. And the curve of the dome actually cuts away room that would be cage space if the cage was squared off. It doesn't really add space, it detracts. You'd have to fill out the rounded shape of the dome to make the square. Think about it. It's just marketing that makes you think they're giving your more room.

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Having said that, all my cages are dome tops. :o:

sland165

Walking the driveway
I have both a square and dome top. I will be replacing the dome top very shortly for Snuggles, hanging toys is a pain, yes it looks nice but the cage is losing almost two square feet of usable room just for a decorator item. IMO Square is the way to go.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm not a fan of the dome top either. There are less options for using the top. If they climb on top, they are pooping inside the cage. A play top has a tray and a regular flat top you can put plexiglas or a stand or newspaper.

Itsy came with a dome top so I bought it for her. She has a grapevine perch on top with treat cups which works for her.

ItsyCage1.jpg

Heather R.

Moving in
I really appreciate you telling me about the cage, unfortunately I am in Florida so the cost of shipping would be a little high:(, otherwise that would be a GREAT deal and I sure do love deals:D

Heather R.

Moving in
After looking and considering all that you have all told me and suggested, I have changed my mind to a play top cage. I had really never thought about the easy clean up before with the tray on top of the play top cages which is a huge plus. But I still really like the perch and net ideas that you guys gave me for the dome top and I will probably will use them with the play top cage. Thanks so much for all the responses, they really helped me in deciding what to do!:hug8:

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I like playtop cages also, more usable space! Someone here also mentioned that having a playtop with a tray helps with safety if a bird flies to the top of another bird's cage their toes can't be bitten. Of course you still have to watch to be sure they don't land on the side of the cage and get attacked.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I really appreciate you telling me about the cage, unfortunately I am in Florida so the cost of shipping would be a little high:(, otherwise that would be a GREAT deal and I sure do love deals:D
MSBS is located in Jersey, but has free shipping anywhere in the US.(when you spend $100 or more) Plus you get a 10% AA discount!;)

About the net I posted, I'll be getting one of the smaller ones for the side of my linnies flight cage.:dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.