1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dollhouse Wood Question!

Discussion in 'Enrichment and Foraging Park' started by AkasyaEllric, 4/15/18.

1. AkasyaEllric

AkasyaEllric Walking the driveway Tailgating Party!

Morgan
    So my dad has old wood used to make dollhouses laying around and keeps trying to pawn it off on me for the birds. I'm what many would call overly cautious AKA paranoid and if I haven't bought it myself or from a reputable place I won't use it usually. He's saying the wood is fine, but doesn't know what it is and has even cut it and drilled it for me at this point. Does anyone have any more insight on if it's safe or not or even what type of wood it is?

2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Do you know if the wood has been treated?

3. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

saroj
    I wouldn’t use that wood but get some 2x2 untreated pine from the hardware store and have your dad cut it and drill it. Inexpensive!

Clueless and Lady Jane like this.
  4. AkasyaEllric

Morgan
    I actually have already bought this and it's just sitting here and he chose to do cut this instead. I actually ended up going and buying a tabletop saw so I don't have to keep sitting around waiting for other people to do it for me.

I've added some pics to show what it looks like.

30738264_10204822866648040_4344626957711835136_n.jpg 30712751_10204822868288081_1383005170396299264_n.jpg

TikiMyn and saroj12 like this.
  5. AkasyaEllric

Morgan
    I don't know at all, that's why I'm so leary. Maybe I'll say thanks then throw it away when he's not looking.

6. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party! BINGO CHAMPION I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    It's hard to tell with the cut but almost looks like basswood. @JLcribber ?

TikiMyn likes this.
  7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Is it soft or hard? Doesn't look like any kind of laminated wood. Doesn't have much grain (to me that would be soft wood). What happens when you cut it? Is the sawdust grainy or a very fine powdery dust. (I wouldn't use a powdery one). Can't tell the species of wood from the pictures.

TikiMyn likes this.
  8. AkasyaEllric

Morgan
    I'm not sure actually, he kind of just threw these down on the table and told me to use them. I'll cut some myself and see how the sawdust is tomorrow though. I'll also try to get some outdoor pics of it so there is more detail. It didn't feel as soft as balsa though from what I could tell.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)