• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dollhouse Wood Question!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
So my dad has old wood used to make dollhouses laying around and keeps trying to pawn it off on me for the birds. I'm what many would call overly cautious aka paranoid and if I haven't bought it myself or from a reputable place I won't use it usually. He's saying the wood is fine, but doesn't know what it is and has even cut it and drilled it for me at this point. Does anyone have any more insight on if it's safe or not or even what type of wood it is?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you know if the wood has been treated?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I wouldn’t use that wood but get some 2x2 untreated pine from the hardware store and have your dad cut it and drill it. Inexpensive!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I wouldn’t use that wood but get some 2x2 untreated pine from the hardware store and have your dad cut it and drill it. Inexpensive!
I actually have already bought this and it's just sitting here and he chose to do cut this instead. I actually ended up going and buying a tabletop saw so I don't have to keep sitting around waiting for other people to do it for me.

I've added some pics to show what it looks like.

30738264_10204822866648040_4344626957711835136_n.jpg 30712751_10204822868288081_1383005170396299264_n.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's hard to tell with the cut but almost looks like basswood. @JLcribber ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is it soft or hard? Doesn't look like any kind of laminated wood. Doesn't have much grain (to me that would be soft wood). What happens when you cut it? Is the sawdust grainy or a very fine powdery dust. (I wouldn't use a powdery one). Can't tell the species of wood from the pictures.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Is it soft or hard? Doesn't look like any kind of laminated wood. Doesn't have much grain (to me that would be soft wood). What happens when you cut it? Is the sawdust grainy or a very fine powdery dust. (I wouldn't use a powdery one). Can't tell the species of wood from the pictures.
I'm not sure actually, he kind of just threw these down on the table and told me to use them. I'll cut some myself and see how the sawdust is tomorrow though. I'll also try to get some outdoor pics of it so there is more detail. It didn't feel as soft as balsa though from what I could tell.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Be careful to buy only heat-treated and not chemical-treated wood! If you have a sawmill (lumber-cutting yard) nearby, they'll happily sell you untreated cuts! Some may even be cut-to-size already ( I was lucky enough to have the mgr collect it for me.), but you'll have to drill holes for hanging or skewered toys.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
To me it looks like a thin version of MDF particle board. The type of stuff that is small particles of compressed wood, often held together with some type of adhesive. Very hard to tell though. Could you take some of it to a hardware store and ask them if they know what it is?

The picture of the little bits sitting in a pile look like the cuts have step like sections in them, like the wood is thin sheets stuck together in layers to make a thick piece. The picture of the single bit in your hand looks like there are no visible wood grains but it does look like compressed pulp to me. Again it is hard to tell from a photo.

"If in doubt chuck it out" that was always the motto for every work place i have worked at with food. As for items for bird safe toys..... i personally would follow the same type of motto. The old "better safe than sorry" saying keeps coming to mind.

Can you try soaking one bit in water for a while to see how it reacts? Some of the particle board woods will come apart if sitting in water for a while, they kind of separate.

Even if you can decide what type of material it is, you will not know if it has been treated or come into contact with pest control or garden chemicals. I think you are right to be a bit paranoid about things for your bird.

Hope you can work something out so you, your dad and your parrot are happy!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If it's just plain wood, not some type of particle board or plywood, and not varnished or finished, it should be fine. All of the more commonly used woods, like basswood or birch, are bird-safe.
It's a little hard to tell in the photo but if you can see the grain on the cut edge, it should be ok. If you aren't sure, snap a piece in two and the grain should be more visible on the snapped edge. If there isn't a grain or you can see layers like plywood, then it's probably not the best - plywood IS used for some nestboxes and probably ok, but there is glue in it which is probably not the best.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
My dad ended up saying to just toss it because where he stored it may of been moldy and he was worried it would make the birds sick. I'm glad I have this info for future reference though since he said he may just go buy more for them, and he isn't necessarily the best at making sure the wood is safe first, obviously.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My dad ended up saying to just toss it because where he stored it may of been moldy and he was worried it would make the birds sick. I'm glad I have this info for future reference though since he said he may just go buy more for them, and he isn't necessarily the best at making sure the wood is safe first, obviously.
He sounds keen to be part of it all and to be a good birdy Grandpa! Maybe give him a list of wood and other safe items he can get for you and make him your chief toy maker. Involve him more and teach him what he needs to know about making the chew bits and toys for your birds the safe way.

He sounds like a real sweetie who wants to keep busy but also wants the pleasure of seeing how happy he has made you and the birds.
I love it! lol.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
He sounds keen to be part of it all and to be a good birdy Grandpa! Maybe give him a list of wood and other safe items he can get for you and make him your chief toy maker. Involve him more and teach him what he needs to know about making the chew bits and toys for your birds the safe way.

He sounds like a real sweetie who wants to keep busy but also wants the pleasure of seeing how happy he has made you and the birds.
I love it! lol.
He definitely wants to help, I help take care of his IRN and make toys for him as well. He just needs a bit more educated on safe woods bc he thinks they're all fine. I've set up a cutting station on our front porch and he keeps giving me tools to help me do it more easily too. He had offered to cut wood too but none of his saws are in working order so I bought a new tabletop one and I think he felt left out.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He definitely wants to help, I help take care of his IRN and make toys for him as well. He just needs a bit more educated on safe woods bc he thinks they're all fine. I've set up a cutting station on our front porch and he keeps giving me tools to help me do it more easily too. He had offered to cut wood too but none of his saws are in working order so I bought a new tabletop one and I think he felt left out.
Awe. Why don't you invite him to come "help" you with your new tabletop saw? Maybe ask him to teach you a few more "advanced tips and tricks" or just give you a "refresher course"? You could make a day of it!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Awe. Why don't you invite him to come "help" you with your new tabletop saw? Maybe ask him to teach you a few more "advanced tips and tricks" or just give you a "refresher course"? You could make a day of it!
I might do that. He may know better though since he's seen the massive amount of wood I've cut so far haha. I have been asking him about different blades and ways to drill holes more accurately. He's been teaching me about different drill bits too since I'm pretty clueless about them. I honestly didn't know there was more then one type haha.