• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dogs with birds?

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a 3 year old 7 pound chihuahua named Ruckus that we rescued a year and a half ago. I got Gonzo(slender billed cockatoo) about four months ago, and Ruckus is constantly trying to jump at him when Gonzo is out of the cage. I haven't been able to take Gonzo out of my room since Ruckus will keep crying and someone will have to grab onto his collar to prevent him from getting to close to Gonzo. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to train him? I would hope that eventually we don't have to hold onto hm when Gonzo is out, and be able to have Gonzo on a stand. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ruckus sounds like a dog that you'll just always have to be careful about. I've had a sheltie and now a springer that have been great with the birds. My yorkie that I had for a long time was absolutely not great with birds. He was one of those that would sit next to their cage and tremble with the anticipation of grabbing one. Some dogs just have more prey drive than others. Maybe someone else in your family can give the dog attention while you give the bird attention in another room. You can also try to bird proof a dog free room so he can get more out of cage time and won't require you to be with him the whole time. I've been very careful about what kind of dog I got after the yorkie. Playing musical animals all the time to keep them separated is a drag.

Perriewinkle

My house is a zoo.. there are 2 families, 4 dogs, a 55 gal tank, and Felicia. Out of the 4 dogs, only 1 I worry about, she is also 7 lbs, but terrified of me (I don't let her boss the others and she doesn't like me for it). The larger dogs will sniff at Felicia, and I always watch but she lunges at them and they back off quick.

However, mom has 2 boston terriers that act like your dog. Separating them is the only way to keep both kinds of animals safe.

I would suggest, if you have room, to get the dog on a tie out, outside.. so the toucan can have more living space at least for a few hours a day. It sounds like you've babied the dog (the whining) and that the dog will always have a prey drive to hunt things that move and are new.

You have to remember that dogs get a sense for something by putting it in their mouth, unless you are ready to train the dog, and recorrect the behavior/discipline the dog, keeping them apart is the only way the bird will be safe.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Our dog is pretty good around the birds but I do not leave them near each other unattended. The problem we face is that my dog opens doors and I am afraid he could let the birds out.

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
By giving into your dogs whining you are actually rewarding it by giving it what it wants when it whines. This will make it a harder habit to break if you decide to do so. If your dog is crate trained try putting it in there with a good bone or a stuffed kong while you have the bird out.

ezra

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margret
My aunt got a budgie for her kids, and the dog ate it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I wouldn't. :p And of course, it depends on the dog.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 3 small dogs. All with zero prey drive. When Layla is on the floor exploring, the chihuahua mix hides behind the couch.lol. The other two walk right past her with barely a glance. When I am on the couch, the French bulldog is usually across my lap. Layla will walk on top of him and he snores away. Could care less. I still wouldn't trust them unattended of course because you just never know. But my three dogs have a healthy fear of all things feathered. I wish I had advice for you. I think a dog who shows a little too much interest is probably a dog who might not ever be able to be around the bird:(

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
It depends on the dog. I had the sweetest most wonderful gentle large dog growing up. She passed at almost 15 years old in 2009 :(. She was so kind and gentle. She used to cuddle with my hamster when I was little. She cuddled my cat. She tried to cuddle with george but george pooped on her head and laughed about it. She would never hurt another animal.

I also had another smaller dog that would try to eat every animal she saw including my hamster, so it is really hit and miss. If you don't know how your dog will react or your dog has shown that he/she will react negatively or overly enthusiastically or even aggressively then you need to keep them separated. If on the other hand your dog wouldn't hurt a fly and feels love for all animals like mine did you can let them say hi.