• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dogs eating seeds?

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
This question needs more explanation. My aunt and I don’t get along. For whatever reason the years of research I did before I got my bird is just me lying and she is always trying to dispel everything I say. Also, she makes up things without researching because of the fact that she has owned certain animals in the past. ( I would give examples but I’m not going to continue to rant about my family.) Anyway, every now and then I will give my bird a nutri berry and you all know how messy birds are. My Aria is actually very neat for a bird and most of her mess stays in her cage. But occasionally she will make a mess. My aunt says that the seeds are lethal to her dog. I’m not saying she’s wrong but are the seeds in nutri berries bad for dogs. Keep in mind I always sweep around her cage so Lila (the dog’s name) would just eat crumbs. Again I clean it multiple times a day so it would be very hard anyway. Basically my question is if a dog ate a couple of seeds from a nutri berry would she get sick. I’m sorry this is a mess but I’m a bit frustrated. Again. I don’t feed the dog seeds and I clean after her all the times. If she ate any it would be an accident and barely any. Thank you. ( There are probably typos and I am so sorry )

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
She's not 100% wrong, but she's missing some important details.

Some seeds are indeed lethal to dogs, particularly apple or orange seeds and stone fruit pits (peaches, cherries, etc.) These naturally contain small amounts of cyanide. Much like chocolate and caffeine, a tiny amount, as in eating one or two seeds, probably won't harm them, but make no mistake, they can be deadly (to humans too, if we ate enough of them).

However, 1) this isn't universal to all seeds. Otherwise we'd never snack on sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. 2) The items that are dangerous for dogs are even MORE dangerous to birds, as birds are smaller and less hardy in general. (So obviously you wouldn't give your bird apple seeds).

As a general rule, if it's safe for a parrot to consume, it's definitely safe for a dog. (The opposite isn't necessarily true, and there are other species of birds that can eat foods that are toxic to mammals, but I can't think of anything I'd give to a parrot that's dangerous to dogs).

Regarding nutriberries specifically, my dogs have stolen and eaten entire packs of the things with no adverse effects.

In your aunt's defense, it makes sense for her to hear "seeds are dangerous" and not research further. When you own a bird, you have to dig deeper and find out what seeds ARE safe. A dog owner, on the other hand, can just think "no problem... I'll just never give my dog seeds of any kind. Not like dogs go gaga for seeds anyway," and consider the matter closed.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Some dogs can't handle gluten, besides from that seeds isn't dangerous to them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My dogs eat bird seed all the time! They hang around under the wild bird feeder and eat all the seeds that drop.

I had a bowl of seed sitting outside (500g or more) waiting to be put into the bird feeder but the dogs got to it while I wasn’t looking.....made for very interesting poop but that was about it!

I have no idea if they should be eating it or not but they also steal apples from the tree and eat all the dropped fruit- even the core and seeds. They have never been crook from all the things they eat that they shouldn’t......all except for one time when one of them got into a big stash of chocolate and ate that with the tin foil too!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My dog eats anything she can get her grubby paws on. She rummages in the rug in front of Chirp's cage all the time, eating whatever bits he chucks out. She has had no issues thus far.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have three dogs and when things hit the floor, they are right there cleaning up. Mine from time to time have gotten a nutriberry. I do not offer any raisins, or grapes here for their safety.

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
Thank you for the replies. It makes me feel a lot better.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This question needs more explanation. My aunt and I don’t get along. For whatever reason the years of research I did before I got my bird is just me lying and she is always trying to dispel everything I say. Also, she makes up things without researching because of the fact that she has owned certain animals in the past. ( I would give examples but I’m not going to continue to rant about my family.) Anyway, every now and then I will give my bird a nutri berry and you all know how messy birds are. My Aria is actually very neat for a bird and most of her mess stays in her cage. But occasionally she will make a mess. My aunt says that the seeds are lethal to her dog. I’m not saying she’s wrong but are the seeds in nutri berries bad for dogs. Keep in mind I always sweep around her cage so Lila (the dog’s name) would just eat crumbs. Again I clean it multiple times a day so it would be very hard anyway. Basically my question is if a dog ate a couple of seeds from a nutri berry would she get sick. I’m sorry this is a mess but I’m a bit frustrated. Again. I don’t feed the dog seeds and I clean after her all the times. If she ate any it would be an accident and barely any. Thank you. ( There are probably typos and I am so sorry )
Naaa, dogs eat seeds now and then. My former dog liked corn ( for chickens) for some reason...then goes out and poops Kellogg corn flakes!
Heck darn dog would eat chicken poo.....then want a kiss afterwards (yeck...barf...) So yea , I wouldn't worry.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Even though I constantly clean the bird room floor, Teddy my dog will sneak in and grab something off the floor. As long as he's not licking their poop, he is okay.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dogs at the farm will eat sweet feed (horse chow), they love the stuff.