• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Hearing??

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I'm not sure if this is supposed to go hear, but knowing that many of you have dogs AND birds, I have a question: Will a macaw's scream damage my dog's hearing?

Heck, will it damage mine? Should I purchase protective dog muffs (along with my own)?

I also know that yes, SUPERVISION WILL TAKE PLACE! I am ready to make sure they both get their proper interaction with me while being safe. =3

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the dog gets a direct ear shot it's going to hurt. Not so much damage but you can be sure once the dogs hears that a couple of times he's going to avoid those birds like the plague.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
If the dog gets a direct ear shot it's going to hurt. Not so much damage but you can be sure once the dogs hears that a couple of times he's going to avoid those birds like the plague.
If the dog and bird are in the same room (about a medium sized bedroom) and the bird let's it all out, will the dog suffer hearing problems?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't be so worried about hearing problems. Although, some dogs are sensitive to noise. It was a consideration for me years ago when I bought my sheltie. I got the most outgoing pup in the litter because some shelties are prone to getting nervous with noise. Also, my old yorkie I had years ago had some definite fear issues as he started aging, his regular hearing was starting to go and the birds threw a screaming fit or threw something to their metal cage bottom. The clanking sound sound seemed to really get to him. He'd go and hide in my bedroom. It wouldn't stop me from having a dog, but just be aware that you might need to be able to give the dog an option to get away from it if you have a screamer or an old dog that is getting a little senile.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I wouldn't be so worried about hearing problems. Although, some dogs are sensitive to noise. It was a consideration for me years ago when I bought my sheltie. I got the most outgoing pup in the litter because some shelties are prone to getting nervous with noise. Also, my old yorkie I had years ago had some definite fear issues as he started aging, his regular hearing was starting to go and the birds threw a screaming fit or threw something to their metal cage bottom. The clanking sound sound seemed to really get to him. He'd go and hide in my bedroom. It wouldn't stop me from having a dog, but just be aware that you might need to be able to give the dog an option to get away from it if you have a screamer or an old dog that is getting a little senile.
She doesn't react that much to loud noise, and I will be getting my bird around next year. She's middle aged at 5, so that's not a concern. I was just worried since I read that some people suffer hearing loss from parrots and suggest purchasing protective hearing gear. Is this true? I'm thinking about a GW macaw too.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I've had my hyacinth for ten years. Two years ago I had to get a hearing test because of a vertigo issue and it came back normal. I think if you actually have an aviary where you spend hours among flock calling macaws every day, you might have something to worry about. A simple pet owner I doubt will have problems. Hyacinths are loud and can hurt your ears. I just leave the room if mine is going on and on. Although usually something is upsetting her if she doing repetitive full volume screams. Mostly she's just annoyingly noisy but about half volume.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Well I've had my hyacinth for ten years. Two years ago I had to get a hearing test because of a vertigo issue and it came back normal. I think if you actually have an aviary where you spend hours among flock calling macaws every day, you might have something to worry about. A simple pet owner I doubt will have problems. Hyacinths are loud and can hurt your ears. I just leave the room if mine is going on and on. Although usually something is upsetting her if she doing repetitive full volume screams. Mostly she's just annoyingly noisy but about half volume.
Oh! I read that parrots scream to the extent that some have hearing loss. I think I read that from @Holiday? Or maybe it was someone else or another forum... But thank you! :D

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh definitely parrots can cause hearing loss. My grey thinks it's fun to do a high pitched chirp in my ear. Between her and the cockatoo we had there's no question I've got some hearing damage.
Thankfully, my macaw isn't a screamer but I'm sure if he was, just being in the room with him could cause damage over time.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Oh definitely parrots can cause hearing loss. My grey thinks it's fun to do a high pitched chirp in my ear. Between her and the cockatoo we had there's no question I've got some hearing damage.
Thankfully, my macaw isn't a screamer but I'm sure if he was, just being in the room with him could cause damage over time.
If it's just the twice a day thing, with random occurrences of loudness (provided that my dog and I were able to leave the room asap), would I still have damage?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You'd probably have to ask a doctor. I don't really worry about my hearing too much and I have amazons, cockatoos and a macaw. The macaw is the one that is loud most often. I don't let my noisiest birds on my shoulder very often so having one scream in my ear full volume doesn't happen often. Once in a while one will time it right just when I'm walking past the cage or the amazon decides to do a high pitch sound in my ear while on my shoulder. If she keeps it up, I just put her down and don't worry about it. All my birds throwing a screaming fit at the same time is rare and usually only happens for a few minutes around feeding time if at all. If your birds are so loud you have to worry about your hearing, then you either have a whole bunch of birds or you need to work on your management practices. My breeding pairs are quite noisy in a spare bedroom and if I stayed in there very long I'd have hearing loss. But I have excited amazons and quakers doing territorial get out now screaming every time I go in there. With wood floors so it echos nicely. If I spent hours in there at a time often, it could probably damage my hearing. My pet birds that live in the living room and kitchen will make noise but its not an endless cacophony. I would not let concern for hearing loss prevent me from getting a single macaw. However, getting multiple macaws might be more likely to cause you problems. They can really get each other going with flock calling and that can be hard to get away from.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I've had a cockatiel give me a migraine and my dogs would leave the room when my Hawkhead would sound off. Just make sure the dog can get away to a different room in case it does bother your dog and you should be fine. You might want to get some ear protectors for yourself just so you don't accidentally reinforce the screaming. seeing you flinch is all some birds need as a reaction to keep going and going and going...

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
any very loud noise can damage hearing. please dont let a bird that size near your dog, im woried about the dog losing its nose. not worth it.