• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Had a Stroke

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If they don't want to spend money on their pets then how dare they keep them locked up on their property! If they won't take it to the vet is there ever a time they are not home? If so maybe you could pinch the dog for a while, drop it off at the vets and say you found him wandering in the street and he did not look good so you thought a vet was the best place for him. Many years ago we had no choice but to either watch the neighbors dog starve to death tied up very tightly to a close line or break into their yard and release the dog so it could get help. Once the dog was out of the yard they admitted they did not want to bother with it so they signed the paper work to hand him over to the RSPCA.
People like your neighbors make me so angry. It must be so difficult for you knowing the dog may be suffering and you are in a spot which makes it hard for you to help it. I am so sorry for both you and the poor pooch.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
First off she shouldn't own a pet if she can't give it the care it needs. Secondly definitely call animal control! There is not a pet in the world that should suffer at all!!!!
animal-bill-of-rights.png

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Arggg what a Terrible situation! Wishing you and the dog a lot of luck!:fingerscrossed:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Udate. Or should I call it a non-update?

This has taken a long time because I could not get an answer about the dog by text or phone, and it's been pouring rain so nobody is outdoors. So I had to have an in-person talk.

Spoke with the owner in question. Says dog had a stroke, carries its head to one side. Not taking it to the vet because (1) she doesn't want to spend money on the dog and (2) they "wouldn't do anything."

Me: she could be in pain.

Owner: she is not in pain.

Me: how do you know?

Owner: She isn't in pain!

At this point, owner's spouse steps in and loudly uses a lot of medical language he thinks is talking over my head.... trust me it's not over my head. I bit my tongue.

They went on basically repeating the above. I said you really shouldn't say that (about the money) to me, I have spent thousands on my dog's health.... at which point they start bragging about how much they spent on their previous dog. Whic was of course more than we spent, because that's how these people are - if I spent $2,000 on something theirs was $3,000 etc.

Basically they believe they shouted me down. They don't know me too well, huh?

I have researched Florida's vague statutes, I really don't believe anything will be done but I am contacting a vet I know to ask him (about cruelty/neglect) and I will contact the authorities Monday morning.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I will do the best I can. I think his way of stating his medical stuff (he isn't a doctor, I guess he plays one on TV) ... could be intimidating to some people. So I hope no one lets him shout them down.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
His ego is in the way of getting help for the dog. I wonder if the dog can swallow food? You must be so frustrated.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wait I don’t mean like hitting someone. I mean I feel like throwing something. Grrr.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is such a horribly difficult situation and as much as I feel for the dog I really feel for you. It is not an easy thing to know that something needs to be done but having no power or control to make it happen. I really hope you get some good news about what can be done to help the dog. Your neighbors are evil people who only care about themselves, lets hope there is some law that can override their extremely bad and selfish decision to hold the dog away from treatment.