• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Had a Stroke

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you lived in my state (florida) and someone told you their dog had a stroke....and you saw that the dog was lolling over to one side and so on....
But they had no plans to take it to the vet, because they don’t like spending money on their pets....

What would you do, if anything?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I am sorry, my Frog (wittle dog) lived 18 yrs and had a stroke broke my heart to no end, but he was laid to rest. I think if it is a severe stroke they should do the best to the little babe to make it most comfortable and go to the vet, if they don't I would take the babe to the vet myself.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are both so sweet. Money is not their issue (they have tons) they’re just cheap or something. I’m angry — but I guess I could take the dog to the vet?

But then if it lives is it my dog? Cause I sure don’t trust them any more.

Or call the authorities...wonder if they’d actually investigate?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Or call the authorities...wonder if they’d actually investigate?
I know around here, if you have influence they let you off. When I was a kid, our neighbor's kids (they had like 5 or 6, all boys) would hit our dog (Tink) through the fence with hockey sticks. We called the cops and they came out, but only talked to the neighbor, and since he's in with the village (he's a firefighter, his wife writes for the local newspaper) They got away with it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know around here, if you have influence they let you off. When I was a kid, our neighbor's kids (they had like 5 or 6, all boys) would hit our dog (Tink) through the fence with hockey sticks. We called the cops and they came out, but only talked to the neighbor, and since he's in with the village (he's a firefighter, his wife writes for the local newspaper) They got away with it.
Yeah that kind of thing is what worries me. I had a similar situation once. These kids would hit my dogs and throw things at them through/over the fence. The dogs would bark. One day all these people suddenly race INSIDE MY HOUSE and said “your dog bit my baby’s finger off”. I was horrified but....it didn’t seem like my dog would do that. Fortunately the man next door stood up from his porch and said “I know what happened to that baby’s finger...” he led them to the playground across the street. The unsupervised child had stuck his finger in a gym thing and another kid pushed the corresponding bars which chopped off his finger.

If that man hadn’t been there I’d have lost my dog. :(

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Call animal control. They are legally obligated to provide veterinary care. Whether or not animal control will do anything is another question, but that's out of your control.

Taking the dog yourself, while well- intentioned, can be seen as theft.

I'm sorry you're put in this situation.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
If you lived in my state (florida) and someone told you their dog had a stroke....and you saw that the dog was lolling over to one side and so on....
But they had no plans to take it to the vet, because they don’t like spending money on their pets....

What would you do, if anything?
I hope I would have the courage to say "people survive strokes with adequate medical care, why can't your best friend?"

Then I'd offer them the money. ...

Then after that, I just may limit the time I spend in their company.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah that kind of thing is what worries me. I had a similar situation once. These kids would hit my dogs and throw things at them through/over the fence. The dogs would bark. One day all these people suddenly race INSIDE MY HOUSE and said “your dog bit my baby’s finger off”. I was horrified but....it didn’t seem like my dog would do that. Fortunately the man next door stood up from his porch and said “I know what happened to that baby’s finger...” he led them to the playground across the street. The unsupervised child had stuck his finger in a gym thing and another kid pushed the corresponding bars which chopped off his finger.

If that man hadn’t been there I’d have lost my dog. :(
When I lived in Ohio, one of the neighbors came at my German Shepherd,,with a pick ax, the dog was in his yard, minding his own business,,,I pulled the shotgun on the neighbor while someone else called the cops,,,neighbor was " high" and out of his mind, he went to jail, cops said nothing to me,,,the dog was ok and even sat by the officers and let them love on him.. my Dad was a deputy sheriff, , may have helped..

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Call animal control. They are legally obligated to provide veterinary care. Whether or not animal control will do anything is another question, but that's out of your control.

Taking the dog yourself, while well- intentioned, can be seen as theft.

I'm sorry you're put in this situation.
True, they can come back on you for that
..sometimes, we just call the authorities and have to ( sadly) walk away..:sadhug2::sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have taken pets to the vet without permission before. One of hubby's relatives had a cat that got its tail caught in the door and broke. And broke OFF. Instead of getting it care, they just renamed him Zombie because of the dead appendage that was clearly infected. I took him to the vet and had it amputated.

Have also taken another cat in for a respiratory infection.

I realize getting body parts lopped off is probably toeing the line legally....

I am not always in a position to do that stuff but when I am I do it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have taken pets to the vet without permission before. One of hubby's relatives had a cat that got its tail caught in the door and broke. And broke OFF. Instead of getting it care, they just renamed him Zombie because of the dead appendage that was clearly infected. I took him to the vet and had it amputated.

Have also taken another cat in for a respiratory infection.

I realize getting body parts lopped off is probably toeing the line legally....

I am not always in a position to do that stuff but when I am I do it.
Well I have taken others’ pets to the vet 3 times but never have I brought them back without body parts! :p

I’ll work on finagling a conversation tomorrow (Oh hi, I was just standing here, in your yard. For 3 hours. In the rain.)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm so sorry you have to live through this.

I just don't get people sometimes.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The only thing would be taking him to the vet, you know they won't do medications that he will need for the rest of his life. I would just ask if you can take him. If he keeps him, remind him that he could start having potty issues in the house etc. If that doesn't work, report him. If you can't sleep at night thinking about him not getting help...well you know.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very sad to read. If they don't want to spend $$ on their pets they shouldn't have any. Poor dog.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Very sad to read. If they don't want to spend $$ on their pets they shouldn't have any. Poor dog.
THANK YOU.

I had lunch with her about a month ago, the other dog barks non-stop. It's a breed I owned for almost all my life, the barking is not normal. Except herding breed, ignored, not exercised.......So I said how about an e-collar. I explained the use and all. Then she asked for the price and I said "under 200," she was shocked.

"I don't want to spend any money on him!"