• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog drank raw chicken juice?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Okay so I'm a little worried. I thawed out chicken in the microwave to put into my crockpot (I'm making something fabulous for dinner) and I had the plate of chicken juice on the counter and I walked away for a min and came back to find my husky puppy (okay he's not really a puppy anymore he's almost a year old) had drank pretty much all of the juice off the plate, there was quite a bit of juice he drank.

I'm starting to freak out a little because #1 it grosses me out what he did but #2 that he could get sick from it.

I know some people feed their dogs raw meat all the time so I may be overreacting but I just want to make sure I don't need to worry about him pooping his brains out or throwing up his entire stomach.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I feed ellie a raw chicken thigh once a week. Unless it was a large amount of chicken drippings, he might have some loose stools but I'd think fine otherwise.

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Does don't react to salmonella/raw meat organisms the way we do. He should be fine. :)

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
He'll be fine. Dogs eat all kinds of disgusting things without getting sick.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
My guy occasionally sneaks something raw. Usually my punishment for inattention is he wakes me up at 3am cuz he has diarrhea.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Dogs and cats are fine eating raw meat and any other bit of an animal they can catch/scavenge/find. They have much shorter digestive tracts and so are less prone to bugs that can hurt us humans.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
i too have read that dogs can have raw chicken, but i dont feed it to my dog. her digestive tract is sensitive, and new foods run right through her...
the title to this thread made me want to hurl btw :wtf:
:hehe:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We feed our dogs raw chicken every few days....we do however have to watch that they eat it there and then as they otherwise you'll end up with rancid black gooey chicken being chewed on you the next day thanks to our 45 degree heat when they bury it!

I'm also with the school of thought that he will be okay :) he's probably eaten much worse deceased wildlife in your yard before :hehe:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I just wasn't sure I knew some raw foods were okay while others weren't so I figured its better safe than sorry

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Pfft. Completely fine, we feed our dogs raw meat once or twice a week.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Raw chicken juice is fine, raw chicken BONES...ok, depending on size/whether they have been saw-cut.. Cooked chicken bones splinter when chewed, and cause damage in the stomach. My sis' collie had to have surgery from a splintered chicken bone. The way to feed raw chicken parts to dogs is to FREEZE them first, it changes the structure so when they chew it, it crumbles rather than splinters, and its safe. It also helps the dog slow down and chew. I feed my Pom Jasper a frozen raw chicken wing or drummie every week. Larger dogs need larger portions, they can still choke if they tend to gulp their food, so a neck or wing may be too small for larger dogs.
Myths About Raw: Are bones safe?

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
My dogs have been raw-fed for a few years now. He will be just fine. Raw chicken bones are perfectly safe and can be fed thawed or frozen. It doesn't matter either way. Freezing does not change bone structure in any way shape or form.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I agree- he will be just fine with raw juice.

While raw bones are a lot better than cooked, they still can be harmful sometimes. That's why I related the story of my sisters collie. She is a collie breeder, and knows what she is doing, but her dog did have trouble with a raw and splintered chicken bone in her stomach. It took her a year to recover. By "structure" I meant frozen chicken bones break down differently than raw ones do when the dog chews them, and it is safer, IMO, and from my experience. I've home-cooked food for my Pom for 7 years, and been through raw diets with him as well. While their ancestors (wolves) may not have had cooked foods to eat, they certainly had pre-digested foods that contained herbs/veggies/fruits/grains. That's why wolves tear out the contents of the stomach & eat that first. Some foods are great raw, and some are better cooked.