• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dog coughs, vet said he is fine

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
that is neat. it would cause problems for roxie but might work for pumpkin. i have some harnesses laying around though so i will try those. i tried five or six harnesses for roxie...

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
My sheltie died fairly suddenly a couple of weeks after developing a cough. A few days before she died I had her at the vet and they listened to her and did a heart worm test. They did not hear any problems and diagnosed her with pneumonia. A few days later she was worse and I took her back for X-rays and saw a different vet. That vet detected a really bad heart murmur but he had to listen for a while until he found just the right spot to hear it. X-ray showed a massively enlarged heart and she died the next day. In short, I'd get a second opinion on the coughing and short term stay away from agility for now. Also, as someone else mentioned, small dogs can have collapsing trachea issues which can be anything from mildly annoying to a major problem. My yorkie had it and he just had an episode every once in a while with it. It should not just be accepted that a dog has a cough.
My Sheltie, too, died. However, his excessive coughing after moving turned out to be cancer that has spread to the chest. I think coughing is a symptom of many possible problems. :(

Chihuahua

i am taking him to the vet fri. i tried and tried to get my mom to take him and she came up with every excuse in the book (too expensive, it's just hairballs etc) yet she is happy to put in a new 4000 dollar floor. i don't get why she got him if she wasn't going to take care of him correctly.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ask about food allergies. My dog used to sneeze like an adult with seasonal allergies and then we switched her food and she no longer sneezes. The traditional vet told me it was normal and it didn't indicate allergies but then I took her to a holistic vet and we cut out wheat, rice, potatoes, and chicken. I hope they figure out what's wrong.

Chihuahua

Mild collapsed trachea

the other one had flea allergy dermatitis

they're both okay, just have to keep an eye on pumpkin. vet cleared him for activity :)

they are also both diagnosed with fat :facepalm: I used to take great pride in Roxie's trim figure but we've both let ourselves go!

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that they saw the vet! Green beans for everyone!