• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog boots Where ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Does anybody know, where I can find dog boots? I am having a hard time finding dog boots to fit my puppies feets. There is a local pet shop here, but the boots they have none fit their feet, either too small or 2 big, they are for my Teckels ( Daushunds). With winter soon approaching, I would like to get them some boots, to keep their feet warm, during our walks.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
I don't get those things. I see people in the city with their dogs' feet all wrapped up and the poor pups look so miserable...do they actually do anything for a dog, I mean, anything quantifiable and proven by vets or scientists? Dogs are outdoor creatures originally, their paws and paw pads are designed to be walked on in all kinds of weather, it just seems so strange to me to stick them in "shoes"...

Of course I could be totally wrong :confused::confused:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
our weather is not inclement enough for ours to need foot coverings, but I found a site with measuring info that may be helpful to you

How To Measure and How To Put on Dog Shoes

we have dachshunds too and they are often more like medium dogs with short legs and hard to fit

I wish you luck in your search and let us see what you find! :)

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
The salt and gravel used on the ice in the winter time is hard and can damage doggy feet. Boots are very useful for this :). I have a doxie too and he does not like the cold, we have to make him walk and he shivers so bad...they are so low to the ground. Please let me know if you find good boots for your doxie, I know they are hard to find because of their lack on ankles lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Dog boots were first used for sled dogs. They protect the feet from being cut on jagged pieces of ice and keep balls of ice from clinging to the hairs between the toes and damaging the pads and buising the feet.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thank-you Kacy, GG & Jade, hopefully I can find them some, that will fit.
I will let you know, if I do find some.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I don't get those things. I see people in the city with their dogs' feet all wrapped up and the poor pups look so miserable...do they actually do anything for a dog, I mean, anything quantifiable and proven by vets or scientists? Dogs are outdoor creatures originally, their paws and paw pads are designed to be walked on in all kinds of weather, it just seems so strange to me to stick them in "shoes"...

Of course I could be totally wrong :confused::confused:
Dogs feet can get very messed up from snow and ice (and what the city puts down on the streets during the winter). Ice can cause cuts, and snow and ice can also cause frost bite which can be very serious. It can also be very painful for dogs to walk on ice and snow. One of my dogs cannot walk on snow if it's really cold out (like 25 degrees F and below). She literally cries out in pain and just falls down.

So yes, boots can be important!

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Funny story - last year we had some snow and a serious cold snap (for around here). It was like 13 degrees out and my little dog had to go potty. Well she couldn't walk on the snow it hurt too much, so we had to rubberband plastic baggies around her paws. :lol:

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Kacy, the link you showed, those are very nice boots, But yikes on the price thou, as I have 2 pups, but if I can't find anything, I may order them.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Kacy, the link you showed, those are very nice boots, But yikes on the price thou, as I have 2 pups, but if I can't find anything, I may order them.
I know they are expensive, but they are really good quality. Last winter we went through 3 pairs of cheaper boots with our dog, which was basically wasted money! Look on Ebay, maybe you could find the same ones cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.