• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dog bite to my little conure

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
sending my prayers... <3

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Pickles got injured. The lack of mobility in his legs could be temporary or could be permanent. Birds can survive without the use of their legs. You have to adapt their environment and your bird will need to adjust. Both of my sparrow's legs are non-functional and he is unable to perch. He has been that way since he was a baby. Sending positive thoughts for Pickles.

Rebecca1992

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rebecca louise
We just got back from the vet and he’s lively but still not using his little feet. The vet said we should take him home tomorrow and try to see how he goes at home so I’m going to try day and night to see how my little guy goes. Has anybody had to rehabilitate little birds legs? Did you do anything particular to try and get the nerves going again?
Thankyou so so much for all your support, it’s so comforting :)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read a lot about people who did hydrotherapy with birds once their bird had stabilized. But I didn't do anything specific to rehab my girl. Her demeanor is such that if you present her with a challenge, she'll figure it out. So I've just kind of adapted her environment as she healed -- first everything on the bottom, then platforms/perches very low, then a little higher, etc and now she's in a setup that's barely adapted at all besides having the perches closer together because she's not good at cage bars. She basically rehab'ed herself. I'd say for now just concentrate on supportive care -- pad the cage bottom with towels or fleece, move everything he needs down, have a source of supplemental heat if the vet thinks he needs it. Make sure he's not at risk of falling into/drowning in his water if he can't hold his head up. But basically let him call the shots and the two of you will figure it out as he recovers and adapts.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry...don't give up on him. There are always homes for special needs babies. I would take him in a heartbeat. If he's eating and seems happy, do lot's of research. I agree he's likely to need lots of time and tlc. Definitely make sure your dog can never get to him again...

Please keep us updated.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Did your dog mean to get hold of Pickles? Gosh I know the horror of your cat/dog having your parrot in their mouth, it's horrible and I'm sorry you had to experience it :( How is Pickles doing now?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Did your dog mean to get hold of Pickles? Gosh I know the horror of your cat/dog having your parrot in their mouth, it's horrible and I'm sorry you had to experience it :( How is Pickles doing now?
He probably meant it as much as anyone's dog means to play with a squeaky toy. Unfortunately this one made a different noise.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
How is your little one doing?