• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doesn't play with toys

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba (lovebird) has been home for 4 days and seems comfortable with me, as long as I don't reach into his cage. Then he goes and hides in the corner and tweets at me until I'm done removing or adding simple foraging toys. He likes the foraging toys and his d20, sort of, but he doesn't play with any of his actual toys yet. I'm concerned that this may lead to boredom and eventually plucking.

Is this a normal adjustment thing or should I be concerned about his lack of playing? Also after he drinks he wipes his beak off on his rope perch, not concerning, but very cute.
Thanks

Sam and Boba

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
He probably will when he settles in, I haven't owned a lovebird but my larry didn't touch his toys until about a week after I got him.

What kind of toys have you got?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's normal for a bird to be a bit shy at first and need time settling in. New toys can be scary at first. Even after I had him for years, it would typically take my tiel a few days to approach a new toy. :rolleyes: Now a box, bag, paper, etc. no fear. A toy meant just for him- scary. :wacky:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you let him out of the cage when you need to clean it? Try putting several little birdie type things in a small basket. Include things made of paper like a small brown bag and little beads. Then sit down at a table and begin playing with them yourself so he can see you do this. Lovebirds have a huge curiosity and he will want to participate eventually.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I have a ton of toys, only a few in his cage right now. There Is a bell, on a string, a bunch of little bells in between some large buttons and rings, and a popsicle stick and beads type. He also has a ladder, and a bridge. I'm going to make him a swing tomorrow. I make most of his toys, all from bird safe materials. Not currently in his cage is a block and tassel toy that is a little big for him, and a smaller popsicle stick and bead deal. Also a ton of similar toys to those in his cage. I had more in his cage but it seemed to impede his safe movement.

I guess like all other bird stuff, patience is key. I try to play with the toys I have out of his cage where he can see me. He hasn't come out of his cage yet, (save for one scary moment) but he has had the option since day 2, it's now day 4. He seems content enough watching me read to him or play guitar got him.

Thanks for the reply!
Sam and Boba

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I guess like all other bird stuff, patience is key.
Lol you are learning quickly young grasshopper... No but really, I would be amazed if you told me Boba was willing coming out of his cage, hanging out with you, and/or playing with toys on day 4. All of the birds we've ever had (even the hand-raised babies) have always needed at LEAST a week to settle in. Maybe a few more before they felt comfortable enough to start playing with toys or consider adventuring outside of the cage.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I spend almost 90% of his awake time with him. Maybe more lol. I work early mornings so when I get hone and uncover his cage is only a few minutes after he wakes up. (I
Half the time so far, he wakes when I go into the bird room.

Tonight was game night and I had 4 friends over. We hung out with Boba until he let me know he was sleepy, then we moved to another room. He was very happy to see other people and chirped happily until he tucked his beak under his wing. (That's when we moved.)

I havn' t seen him this happy ever. He spent most of the night hopping around his cage and snacking. (He usually hates it when people watch him eat.)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Boba (lovebird) has been home for 4 days and seems comfortable with me, as long as I don't reach into his cage. Then he goes and hides in the corner and tweets at me until I'm done removing or adding simple foraging toys. He likes the foraging toys and his d20, sort of, but he doesn't play with any of his actual toys yet. I'm concerned that this may lead to boredom and eventually plucking.

Is this a normal adjustment thing or should I be concerned about his lack of playing? Also after he drinks he wipes his beak off on his rope perch, not concerning, but very cute.
Thanks

Sam and Boba
He may or may not know how to play. Sometimes with new toys I have to introduce them to Sherbie by fiddling with them in front of her and stuffing snacks in them so that they're less scary. I'd definitely give him time. Also, some toys don't get played with for years. Just tuck them away and offer them every now and again and one day it may be the "favorite". You never know what they'll enjoy. You can also try leaving a small ceramic dish out with toy parts and play with them like foot toys. This way he can sample different textures and you can find out what parts he likes. The easiest are things that jingle, balsa chunks, little shreddable items; popsicle sticks, cardboard, vine balls, palm sticks, etc.

You'll get used to the beak wiping. They do that after eating and drinking and also for sharpening. I am Sherbie's napkin... She wipes her face on my cheek ALL the time. :wtf: I wind up with bits of her food in my hair as well. She's a pig!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the info, I'm going to find an appropriate dish and put a few of each type of part in. He hates dowels, except for his ladder.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
after a couple of weeks you can target train him with a chopstick, clicker, and a treat he enjoys. After a couple of weeks of learning to target a chopstick, you can transition to point the chopstick at a toy that they must touch or play with to get a treat. That is what I am doing with my untame cockatiel, he targets his hanging toy balls(lol- this sounds so wrong) and shredder toys for a treat and the target stick =) Then he realized his toys were fun to play with and plays with them more often now.

It took my cockatiel 1 month to show any interest in his toys. He is a 2 1/2 year old untamed adult and I've had him for 2 1/2 months only so it will probably take 6 months to a year to get him to trust me. (I hope)

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Great idea with the target training. I'll keep it in mind. I did catch him checking out his hanging bells, rings and buttons toy a little while ago. :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara

The 2nd time getting him to target his dangling ball. He is slowly catching on, lol. Mind you I wasn't super patient in this video either lol.