• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your pocketbook find it challenging to keep up with the wood chewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I use Johns saw. I think it is called a table saw? It sits on the table and you bring a big round saw blade thingy down to cut the wood:D
Thats what you tell the home depot guys if you need to buy one:rofl:
It's called a chop saw or miter saw. Easiest and safest to use for non tool people. You can get bigger more expensive ones or smaller cheaper ones. This is the one I use. Great investment considering you will be cutting wood for years to come.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
It's called a chop saw or miter saw. Easiest and safest to use for non tool people. You can get bigger more expensive ones or smaller cheaper ones. This is the one I use. Great investment considering you will be cutting wood for years to come.

Thanks John!!! That is what I ment. Mine is a cheepo Ryobi. Works great. It realy hubby Johns, but what he dont know wont hurt him. LOL

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I get wood at home depot and cut it:D
I like to do it and the birds love it. Today I came home to a big pile of wood chips and it made me:laughing12:
I'm going to start doing this. Lucy and Kylie are big chewers. My husband is a carpenter and has all the tools and loves doing it ... so the birds might as well benefit.

I've also colored my own wood in the past, so I might get my husband to cut a batch this weekend do some coloring :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I find the miter saw to be alot less intimidating than the table saw.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
I drill multiple holes in each block . This allows the birds to get a grip on it and bite down. A drill press works the best for drilling lots of wood I use a ship auger bit it clears the chips out faster and doesn’t burn the wood.

If you are looking for scrap hardwood, try cabinet makers or furniture makers because they always have scraps that they either will give you or sell very cheap. I always seem to get maple and oak and it keeps the macaws happy for more than 5 minutes.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Fortunately for me, there is a family member who works for a cabinet shop. I get untreated/chemical-free pine from them from time to time and they have a large saw (kinda like the one John had the picture of) and they will cut it to my specifications and drill holes with their drill press :) It's nice!

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
We first run the boards through the table saw to smooth them. The we cut the pieces on a band saw. We have jigs made for each size. Then to the drill press they go, all wood is cut and drilled one piece at a time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I find the miter saw to be alot less intimidating than the table saw.
A table saw can be and is a dangerous machine if not used properly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I drill multiple holes in each block . This allows the birds to get a grip on it and bite down. A drill press works the best for drilling lots of wood I use a ship auger bit it clears the chips out faster and doesn’t burn the wood.

If you are looking for scrap hardwood, try cabinet makers or furniture makers because they always have scraps that they either will give you or sell very cheap. I always seem to get maple and oak and it keeps the macaws happy for more than 5 minutes.
Oak is not the best choice of wood to chew. It has oils in it. Just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.