• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your Hawkhead play differently than other birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Our HHs, Taboo & Voodoo, love to pull the push pins out of a corkboard we have hung in the kitchen and from a calendar we have hanging nearby. None of our other birds have ever had any interest in the corkboard but Taboo & Voodoo often head straight for it and start pulling the push pins and dropping them to the floor. I can't tell you how many times I've picked the calendar up off the floor! Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you with HHs have noticed that they play in ways that none of your other birds do.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
omg they are gorgeous!!!! you need to post more pics, stories and videos of them! :heart: I don't have a hawkhead but they are my "if I had more space, money, and time" dream bird

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great picture!!

Cassius is definitely different when it comes to play time. My other three are content to destroy whatever bird toys happen to be around. Cash on the other hand loves to hang off pictures, swing like Tarzan (sometimes off my hair, lol) and just overall, act like a wild child :D His energy far exceeds any of my other birds and I love watching him play :) He's also the only inside guy that has never been clipped and the only one that will actually fly around on a regular basis.

He really seems to be far more aware of his surroundings and the things that are different are noticed immediately. He just has a different sort of intelligence and it is really amazing to see. :)

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Jill, I enjoyed reading about your observations of little Cassius. I agree 100% with what you describe. Both Voodoo & Taboo like to swing from things and yes, they are exceptionally observant of their surroundings. The one thing I have picked up on is their sensitivity. I don't want to generalize this trait to the species as a whole based on my observations of just these two, but both Voodoo & Taboo are very sensitive to changes in their environment. I have talked to a friend of ours who has observed this species in the wild and he believes that due to their solitary nature (they do not flock when mature like many other species) they are more wary than many other parrots. Just his opinion but I think it makes sense.

This same friend mentioned to me he has observed immature HHs playing with juvenile Caiques in the wild. He indicated that this friendship does not carry through to adulthood. It is rather ironic that at the time we brought Voodoo & Taboo home (we finished handfeeding them and allowed them to fledge) we happened to be handfeeding a Caique that was just a few days older than the HHs. Can you guess what happened? Yep, the Caique (we have named her "Pepsi") plays all the time with Voodoo & Taboo -- they wrestle together, eat together and just generally hang out. I think sometimes that we have a Caique that thinks she's a HH!!! LOL

Anyway, here's a photo I have of Taboo in his outdoor flight one morning. As you can see, Taboo enjoys pomagrantes.

I was in contact at one point with an experienced HH breeder in Texas who maintains that much aggression issues with HHs is due to a failure to feed them properly. She maintains that they require a high-fat diet much like a large Macaw and should be fed walnuts/almonds on a daily basis. I would be interested in learning any HH keeper's thoughts on this issue.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both Shemya and Attu like to "hang" a lot too and yes, they are exceptionally observant of their surroundings and ready to raise that head dress and fight if needed just as they would be in the wild.

Our flock is mostly macaws and our Hawkies get 2 nuts a day plus the Red Palm oil in their birdie bread. Our Hawkhead breeder also said they should be fed the nuts as well and we have
continued that.

Very cute photo of Taboo in his outdoor enjoying his pomegranates. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I give Cochise nuts as well, and he loves fruit. His new passion is skipping over to Gryphon's cage and eating the apple shoved through the cage bars, on the outside part.:D
Wonderful photos & stories.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Wow, gorgeous pictures! :)

Jill, I enjoyed reading about your observations of little Cassius. I agree 100% with what you describe. Both Voodoo & Taboo like to swing from things and yes, they are exceptionally observant of their surroundings. The one thing I have picked up on is their sensitivity. I don't want to generalize this trait to the species as a whole based on my observations of just these two, but both Voodoo & Taboo are very sensitive to changes in their environment. I have talked to a friend of ours who has observed this species in the wild and he believes that due to their solitary nature (they do not flock when mature like many other species) they are more wary than many other parrots. Just his opinion but I think it makes sense.
His opinion is very accurate and concurs with my knowledge of the species. Regarding their proclivities in the wild and their behavior in captivity (breeding and companionship settings), I have researched these birds extensively in the past decade and also spoken to individuals who've observed them in their native habitat. In the wild it is not uncommon to see this parrot as solitary. They are also observed in pairs and occasionally in small flocks. They are extremely territorial especially towards other HH, and one of the most territorial of all parrot species in the Americas. Among the many pictures I have of them in the wild, I only found one or two that depicts this species in numbers that amount to a flock.

I was in contact at one point with an experienced HH breeder in Texas who maintains that much aggression issues with HHs is due to a failure to feed them properly. She maintains that they require a high-fat diet much like a large Macaw and should be fed walnuts/almonds on a daily basis. I would be interested in learning any HH keeper's thoughts on this issue.
Although, I cannot attest to their behavior being directly affected by diet since I don't breed, I can confirm that they require macaw-like diets in both content and quantity because of high activity levels and familial relatedness. This is something not generally known about HH outside the knowledge of a few of this forum's members. I believe I know which breeder you're referring to and her knowledge is very extensive on this species.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Zeva..also act as you all describe..she does NOT like other birds but adores people..she will be 3 in July..i have not had her long but she acts different then our other parrots..she is very playful and very talkative..she likes to hang and do activities more than tear things up

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Wow, gorgeous pictures! :)

His opinion is very accurate and concurs with my knowledge of the species. Regarding their proclivities in the wild and their behavior in captivity (breeding and companionship settings), I have researched these birds extensively in the past decade and also spoken to individuals who've observed them in their native habitat. In the wild it is not uncommon to see this parrot as solitary. They are also observed in pairs and occasionally in small flocks. They are extremely territorial especially towards other HH, and one of the most territorial of all parrot species in the Americas. Among the many pictures I have of them in the wild, I only found one or two that depicts this species in numbers that amount to a flock.

Although, I cannot attest to their behavior being directly affected by diet since I don't breed, I can confirm that they require macaw-like diets in both content and quantity because of high activity levels and familial relatedness. This is something not generally known about HH outside the knowledge of a few of this forum's members. I believe I know which breeder you're referring to and her knowledge is very extensive on this species.
Thank you, Titanis. My contact who has studied this species in the wild in Brazil and Guyana reports that pairs are very solitary and that one never sees more than one for every approximately 20 square miles of forest. In contrast, he says that youngsters are highly sociable and will congregate in groups, often socializing with Caiques. He tells me that HHs in the wild feed on Euterpe seeds -- a rather oily palm seed. I believe this is the basis for his conclusion that they require a diet higher in fat much like a macaw. He also maintains that they require a high fiber diet.

I appreciated hearing your views on the species and learning of your research on it. I look forward to hearing more. Thank you!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a great picture of Taboo and Voodoo!! :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Which do you prefer Martine, HH or the RB2 (I know difficult choice)? :eek:
:omg: What a difficult choice!!! I've grown very fond of HH's after seeing them here though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.