• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your Goffin talk?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I recently read in three different places that Goffins aren't good talkers but some learn a few words. This surprised my because my foster Goffin not only talks but has learned new words since we've had him. And he says phrases- "I love Elvis", "Come on Elvis", etc. He's a little fixated on his name. LOL. So I was just curious- do your Goffins talk? Is Elvis the exception or are the articles I read incorrect?

@Tyrion ? @Laura729 ? Etc.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Some people can sing like a bird. Others couldn't hold a tune if their life depended on it. Doesn't seem much different to me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keno talks. Sometimes she is hard to understand, though. She says these long phrases but I haven't figured out exactly what she is saying. Sounds like, "I have to ......????", "I want something to eat???" and other things but I'm not sure. "Goodnight" and "Go to sleep" are her favorites. She also says, "Hi", "Goodbye", "Hello", etc.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine talks. I wouldn't say she's a good talker but she is one of my better talkers. My birds generally don't talk a lot. They take after me that way. My best talkers are my rehomes that learned to talk from someone else.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine also talks. Sweden talked more as a younger bird, but still says her nightly routine of bedtime sentences.

She also says hi when I come home and a few other things.

Not my most clear, or with the biggest vocabulary, but you can understand what she wants.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Lucius talks but is often shy about it. He says "hello" in the cutest little voice - sounds like Elmo mixed with Peppa Pig! He also likes to interrupt me with "huh?" when I'm talking to him sometimes, haha. He will yell, "what are you doin??!" meanly to my upstairs tenant/roommate if he sees her, but then say it again, very sweetly, to her boyfriend if he's around (he is in love with the bf, and so he's jealous of her :rolleyes:). The other night he yelled "WHAT??" at me when I was trying to tell him to get down from my shoulder. First time I'd heard that. :laugh: He very clearly said to me, "I love you" (and it was definitely in my tone/inflection) one night at bedtime a while ago, but I haven't heard it since. :(
He also loves to mumble in tongues, as I call it. It's nonsense demon-sounding talk, but he gets really into it and even puts his foot up and down for emphasis.
:D

The goffin (Jack) at the rescue is a talker too. He loves to sweetly try and coax people (that he doesn't like or know) over with a soft little "hi" or "hel-lo" and his foot outstretched, just to lure them in for a little bite to the finger. He also says "goodbye, bye, buh-bye!" in a goofy, funny voice, and "hi Jackie bird!!" among a few other things. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Some people can sing like a bird. Others couldn't hold a tune if their life depended on it. Doesn't seem much different to me.
Me either. It doesn't matter to me if a bird talks or not. I was just curious since the articles I read made a point of saying that Goffins aren't good talkers which surprised me.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
From all the sources I've ever seen, cockatoos are (overall) considered as a "fair" talking species...whatever that means. Our LSC had only a handful of words...then there's Milton...:rolleyes: