• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your dog eat/chew feathers?

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
I've never claimed to have a "normal" dog, but wonder if anyone else has a dog that chews molted feathers. Anytime there is a wing or tail feather to be found....he acts like it's a prized possession! He reminds me of a dog preening with the way he chews on them. I don't believe this to be a predator/prey thing because he's very gentle around the birds and usually moves out of their way. But if a feather falls, his eyes light up like it's the beat treat ever.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a Border Collie that did this once with poultry feathers, and I'm sorry to have to say that I'd never allow another dog to do so. One day, the ones on the ground weren't good enough, and she decided to go to the source. It ruined the dog and cost the hen her life. I take every feather away from my current dog (GSD).

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Nope, Nala only eats what ever Elvis throws down from his cage at dinner time..:hehe:
She takes an occassional poop on the hump & just keeps on merry way until I clean
it up...but no interest in feathers:lol:

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Nope, my girls have access to chicken and wild bird feathers, but they don't care for them.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Nope, they'll sniff feathers sometimes but that's it.
This includes feathers they find outdoors too, not just Peanut's feathers. In fact, I assume since they smell her scent so much, they basically ignore her feathers. It's outdoor feathers that are interesting to sniff.

That said, they are not allowed to be loose around each other, if Peanut is out of her cage the dogs are on the opposite end of the house with a screen or door between them. Even if they don't eat her feathers that doesn't mean that predatory instinct isn't there.

I'm sorry to hear that Holiday. :(

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Oh yes mine both like to do that. Im trying to watch them not to do it, but sometimes they sneak and grab what was on the floor.My Macaw feathers are preferred as they are big and look attractive.They are also easier to get from the floor.Then is the grey feathers.The cockatoo's are most of the time ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Oh yes mine both like to do that. Im trying ti watch them not to do that but sometimes they sneak and grab what was on the floor.My Macaw feathers are preferred as they are big and look attractive.They are also easier to get from the floor.Then is the grey feathers.The cockatoo's are most of the time ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

:lol:...they prefer Jack's feathers...!! who says dogs aren't finicky:hehe:

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
My dogs don't necessarily chew/eat feathers, but every now and then
they will eat some seed or something that they find on the floor. I don't
like when they do that, but there's only so much I can do, LOL.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
No, Toby doesn't eat feathers. He does LOVE seeds, though. If Ziya has a nutriberry and she's eating in the door of her cage or on her stand, he'll sit and stare and her, and sometimes even do his "I want it" shuffle and whine, as if she'll understand what that means :rolleyes: She does feed him sometimes, though. She'll drop things on the floor and then cock her head and watch what happens to them.

Oh, but both the cat and the dog have gotten little fluffy down feathers stuck on their noses :lol: And no, there's no direct contact. There are just so •••• many fluffies in this house!

Cyreen

Lexi, in true dog form, will inhale anything that lands outside a cage (i.e. food, toys, feathers), a habit that is actively discouraged.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I never thought about this behavior encouraging the dog to one day go after the birds. For as big as he is, he's afraid of them. Both Gypsy and Rico have no issue at growling at the dog, and the dog walks away looking rejected. LOL I'll be more careful about the feathers though...

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i discourage my dogs from sniffing, chewing, or licking anything that has my birds' scent on them. including toys and dropped wood bits. i want them to understand that anything that bears their scent is OFF LIMITS. period. i guess i consider it kinda like letting your dog chew on old slippers and then getting mad when they chew up the current favorite pair you like to wear.

as a matter of fact, i dont even let the birds feed the dogs anymore, i'm just too nervous of an accident... and i dont trust Buffy an INCH. its just not worth the risk. heck! i dont even play the lottery! the odds arent enough in my favor for me to gamble! :rolleyes:

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
:lol:Prized possession. :coffeescreen: I have three little dogs that do the same thing, anything the birds drop is a gift for my dogs. :rolleyes: