• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your Conure play with toys?

SarinaMM

Moving in
Real Name
Sarina
We recently adopted a nanday (black hooded) conure that is about 22 months old. We are her third home. I worry that she doesn't seem interested in toys. The only thing she's even remotely responded too is a paper towel. See shreds them but also eats them so I don't want to give them to her. Anyone else have a conure like this? Is this normal? :huh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on your Nanday. My conure plays with toys although it takes him awhile to start playing with new ones. He also is picky about his toys. You just got her so she may be a bit scared right now. Be patient and give her time to get adjusted to her new environment. Lots of changes for her going to 3 different homes in only 22 mos. What kind of toys have you given her?

BTW, what is her name?

White Noise

Moving in
Real Name
Matt
It takes my green cheek about 2 weeks before he will even look at most new toys. I would grab a bunch of different types, and leave them within reach of her for a month or so. Mine loves anything with a bell on it, or any kind of loud rattling ball. He completely ignores ropes and shreddables. Every bird is different though, so it just comes down to trial and error. It also sometimes helps to play with the toy in front of them.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Gilligan mostly likes things he can destroy. He does like to ring the bell when he is excited. He finally learned to duck after he swings it. It used to come back and hit him in the side of the head!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio is a couch potato & spends most of his time hanging out on his platform perch. He's not much into toys.
He liked to chew on a leather toy at one time. I even made him a custom one but he rarely plays with anything.
Spent alot on Avian stainless mostly bells as at least I like them as cage decoration but he basically ignores everything.
Loves to chew his carrots ...that is his latest veggie fav & he takes them to his platform alot a makes a coleslaw mess.

It's his life so whatever makes him happy.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
My sun canure Sunny isn't really interested in toys as such, but he loves to strip pieces of hibiscus, from leaves and bark. He hasn't been here long though so I hope he will lean to play with him as time goes go. He is interested in them if I "play" with them but when I let go, he stop focusing on them. Time will tell where it will go I guess.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Our Jenday Aries loves things with bells, anything he can chew up and most foot type toys. It does take him a long while to get interested in some of the hanging toys though. We bought him one of those shredder foraging balls and it took him about seven months to really start to tear it apart, he just wasn't interested in it. Most other hanging toys take him about a month to get interested in. Treats hidden in the toys really helped Aries to get more excited about exploring them.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My green cheek doesn't like anything except the little plastic cat balls with the bells inside...or the whiffle balls. She will throw them around and roll them all over the bottom of her cage or on the floor with us. She gets crazy with them! :wideyed:

SarinaMM

Moving in
Real Name
Sarina
Congrats on your Nanday. My conure plays with toys although it takes him awhile to start playing with new ones. He also is picky about his toys. You just got her so she may be a bit scared right now. Be patient and give her time to get adjusted to her new environment. Lots of changes for her going to 3 different homes in only 22 mos. What kind of toys have you given her?

BTW, what is her name?
Her name is Teela. It was Tito when we got her. I guess the previous owners assumed she was a boy but we had her tested.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Buddy, our Nanday, will rattle some of his toys, and once in awhile will chew on a shredding toy (finger traps) He doesn't eat them, though. He's been with us since the end of March, and he's eight years old..

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
Bird likes to wreck things he isn't supposed to. (My yoga mat is his favorite. The computer keyboard before that) But he is skeptical of toys we give him willingly.

Our home we broken into while we were on our honeymoon, (Bird with family) and the intruders took scissors to a "toy" that Bird hated. (They did it likely because it was making noise). Now, it is Bird's favorite toy. I get mock mad at him when he plays with it because they stole all our valuables but improved Bird's perch for him.

Which is to say, they like the oddest things. And not always at once or as they come.

Spagetti noodles (uncooked) are a big hit and almost free to make toys out of. It isn't hazerdous and makes a manegable mess.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa liked jingly noisy toys, balsa, 1/8" pine, foot toys, etc. Sometimes it's a matter of didn't the right materials and presentation. She didn't like anything with very few exceptions at the big box stores

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Sunny today got into all his toys so perhaps he just needs sometime to check them out before testing them out. So I correct myself from my previous post, yes he does play with toys. His favourite is still stripping fresh hibiscuses branches from leaves and bark.

safehaven

How long have you had him? If not very long, he is pen too interested in his new surroundings. When that gets " normal" the toys will be appealing.

My female, Fern, loves anything with a bell and she loves to take foot items out of a basket hanging on the perch branches and drop them to the floor.
The Male, Lotus, only wants to chew and shred.
The 4 month old, Lily (baby of Fern and Lotus) plays with every toy from morning til night, non stop, never seems to get tired of the toy playing.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower loves to chew on things she shouldn't, especially phone cases. Her favorite toys right now are popsicle sticks, small plastic animals (from the Dollar Tree), and hair ties. She likes them loose so she can toss them and carry them around.

Memory0718

Checking out the neighborhood
I have prepared the chewing toy in case it feels boring.
But I don't know it likes or not because it will arrive next week

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My 3 suns love to shred wood and chase anything that jingles/rattles. They also love to play with any toys I show interest in. When I introduce new hanging toys in their cage, their primary goal is make it fall and it becomes an endless cycle for the next few days of me having to hang it back up when I get home from work... buttheads I tell ya.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton pulls down his phone book that we hang for him all the time. Like with your three beauties, he considers it a game...he laughs after he pulls it down...:rolleyes: