• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your conure chirp/chatter constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashell

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,

My conure has some days where she just "chirps" all the time. Unfortunately, today is one of those days. When I say "all the time", I mean constantly: While she's playing with toys, eating, climbing, sitting. She even sleep-chirps sometimes! Other days, she's quiet as a mouse (save for those infrequent conure screams when I'm doing dishes or just walk in the door or something).

I really can't figure out what triggers this constant chirping some days, and honestly, it can get more than a little irritating when I'm trying to study in the same room. (Thank goodness it's a chirp, and not screaming I'm dealing with!)

Does anyone know why this is happening? Does she just want attention? How should I react? Is there anything I can do to reduce it?

By the way, I've been trying to "reward" her by giving attention or treats when she's being quiet... but usually she just starts making even more noise after the reward! It's like she's thinking: "Oh yes, I forgot - the bringer-of-treats is here. She probably doesn't realize I want more"... then she starts chirping to demand "MORE, MORE, MORE"! :rolleyes:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Contentment she is happy ...My two do the same thing they trell and chirp I am getting to know what each one means there is one for being Content one for attention one for sad one for mad that is all I can get from them so far.

seashell

Strolling the yard
Thanks Jim.

It never occurred to me that it might mean she's happy! I think some of those sounds are happy - and I particularly agree with the Trill sound. I actually really enjoy that one, and I wouldn't mind if she did that all day!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Neelix has his days too but his days of chatter are only ongoing because I'm talking to him and trying to encourage him to use his words and learn new phrases. He is really excited and happy when he has those chatter moments with me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa loves to chatter. She makes these froggy noises, ducky noises, and these little angry sounding quiet screams... hard to describe :rolleyes: they are pretty mellow noises, but she does them most often when playing. She gets really into her toys! I agree, it sounds like she is just a happy bird!

seashell

Strolling the yard
I'm glad you all concur that she's happy! That makes me feel a little better about some of these sounds, and actually makes them seem less irritating!! :lol:This is my first conure, so I'm not great at reading her yet...

And Shawna - I totally know the "quiet screams"! My baby does this when she's particularly upset with a toy! Hahaha.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
yes, my conures chatter/talk most of the time, especially when I feed birdy bread etc to them.. hehe!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm glad you all concur that she's happy! That makes me feel a little better about some of these sounds, and actually makes them seem less irritating!! :lol:This is my first conure, so I'm not great at reading her yet...

And Shawna - I totally know the "quiet screams"! My baby does this when she's particularly upset with a toy! Hahaha.
Exactly!! I'm glad you understand what I mean. There are a couple of toys she really gets into it with, I can't help but giggle!

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Jim.

It never occurred to me that it might mean she's happy! I think some of those sounds are happy - and I particularly agree with the Trill sound. I actually really enjoy that one, and I wouldn't mind if she did that all day!
The one that is prevalent is the "hey dad I am over here chirp" or if that dont work the " dad pay attention me screach" which I respond "I love you little girl" which she loves

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Yep, I have a chatty conure here, too! Lior mutters and quacks a lot, especially when she's eating. :D

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim

YUP YUP mine little girl get so upset with a bell ball sounds like she is having fight with another bird I mean screaming at the toy I laugh my but off at her ..

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Oscar chatters in his sleep as well, Craig thinks that he doesn't actually sleep. I sometimes worry that it may bother the other birds

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
:lol: I love those happy chatters! My favorite one is the trill, too! Aristotle also goes "aaaawwwe..." in a disappointed tone when he drops a treat! :hehe:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yup, my girls have them days too, unless they are out, I won’t hear them because they are in the bird room. :)

seashell

Strolling the yard
:lol: I love those happy chatters! My favorite one is the trill, too! Aristotle also goes "aaaawwwe..." in a disappointed tone when he drops a treat! :hehe:
I know exactly what you mean! My bird makes little crying/whining sounds, and then she runs in circles on the grate around the treat. It's heartbreaking. I always get her another one if I hear it, though, so she'll never learn to be more careful! :p

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Juni doesn't just chat, he's usually yelling at the top of his lungs. I don't really know if Curi is chattery because I can't hear him over Juni's noise! :eek:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Nope. I have two painted conures and one blue crowned and they are all very quiet. I also have a red bellied parrot and two lovebirds and the only sounds I ever hear like right now is my Fischer's lovebird who is quietly chattering away at her usual hour....4 pm.

Taigas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donald
From what my mother has said, when I leave the house without my conure he will scream his head off. When I take him outside, he loves to do this ultra high pitched and loud whistle noise o.o. gonna have to find the perfect apartment once I get my job. Yay graduation >.>

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
My guys don't chirp or scream constantly. I do think she's looking for attention. I've found that if I play with them for a little while they're happy and then content to play with their toys or each other. I'd re-think giving treats when she's quiet, she may think this means make more hooplah for treats. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.