• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your cockatiel have a smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Sparky smells bad. It's always been that way since I got her. I can understand why she'd smell when I first got her, her feathers and cage were filthy, but she still smells bad more then 5 years later! (though not as bad as she did when I got her) :lol: She gets a LOT of baths too. :huh: So do your cockatiels smell bad?

Amberry

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amber
My two have a smell, but I LOVE it and would never say it was bad. They smell like... Feather dust and pellets most of the time... It's hard to describe actually!?Have you ever seen a vet about the smell? It's hard to imagine them smelling 'bad'.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ours all smell like feather dust and fluff...not a bad smell..has your birdie beento the vet lately?

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
I think CC smells bad, personally LOL. Especially when she's wet, she smells sort of like wet musty dog, which is totally weird! I think it's just the smell of her feather dust or the preen oil, not sure which. I'm sure this smell wouldn't bother everybody, but I don't like the scent of wet fur, so I guess wet feathers isn't much better :lol:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I don't notice much scent at all to any of my tiels. Powder down and seed hulls, maybe!

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I do think mine smell like wet dog after a bath. I love the way they smell when they are dry. I think it's like zons- you either like the smell or you don't

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
:hehe:I love the way my tiels smell! Even when they are wet! Now, my GCC on the other hand...he stinks when wet, but good when dry:huh:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Hmmm...I think Evie smells like popcorn! LOL

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy smells like feathers, except after his bath, when he smells like hibiscus (didn't realize that the spray had a natural, yet "girly" scent).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hmmm...I think Evie smells like popcorn! LOL
I second that! :hehe: Well, two of my tiels used to smell like popcorn! Or that's what the smell reminded me of! They no longer do, which makes me kind of sad.... but I still love their feathery dusty smell!

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
how old is sparky? Anyone remember what the grandparents smelled like? maybe its just old bird smell :lol:jk...seriously now my betty smells perfect but it may be an aquired smell like some of the tiel parronts have said. Maybe get him chked out by a vet...hope all is good

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Stryder dones't smell bad...he has a bit of a nice dusty smell when I bury my head into his (our morning & night ritual) - I *heart* him.

But he doens't smell like fruit like a Macaw or Amazon - I miss those smells!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
My tiels smell like a big fluff Ball of dander.

Crackaleen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Ok, y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but I love the way my birds smell, especially my tiel Buddy. There's something comforting about it and fortunately he loves snuggling against my nose. When I still lived with my parents, my dad woud see us sitting like that and he'd joke "You're sniffing that bird like he's a drug or something." :lol:I've actually jokingly listed bird-sniffing as a hobby on online profiles before and everyone is always :confused:. I agree though, wet birds don't smell too nice. :hehe:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had to go sniff them.. :lol:

They smell dusty. But they DO get baths, honestly.
:p

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
Sydney smells like corn chips lol except when she is laying eggs then she smells very sweet like a honey-like scent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.