• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does this look like bullying or trauma?

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
IMG_0162.JPG
Everest is the youngest EB in the cage with 5 other budgies and 2 cockatiels. I have never noticed any danger before but they do argue from time to time. They have two open large cages in their room and can go back and forth. He tends to stay away from the others. Perhaps from unwitnessed bullying? He does not have his flight feathers..some do. I need advice if this is a bullying thing..or if trauma should I just let it heal on its own? I can see the "roots" of the feathers that are pulled out. (Sorry I forget to add photo..here it is.)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't see any photo or video.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Keep him away from the others , until he heals , they may be ganging up on him. He can't get away from them as you mention he has no flights, are you letting his flight feathers grow back? It at least would give him a chance to escape the badgering . Keep him in his own cage until he heals, stress of being picked on will lower his immune system and contribute to getting sick. Instinct in birds are to pick on the weak and sick in the flock.

Last edited:

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Keep him away from the others , until he heals , they may be ganging up on him. He can't get geaway from them as you mention he has no flights, are you letting his flight feathers grow back? It at least would give him a chance to escape the badgering . Keep him in his own cage until he heals, stress of being picked on will lower his immune system and contribute to getting sick. Instinct in birds are to pick on the weak and sick in the flock.
Yes the breeder clipped them. But I want them all to be able to fly. These birds are sick after the breeder sent me five birds..all sick and for over a month I had to give them meds twice a day..I think it has caused them all to be quite wary and irritable. Not what I envisioned getting my lovely flock.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes the breeder clipped them. But I want them all to be able to fly. These birds are sick after the breeder sent me five birds..all sick and for over a month I had to give them meds twice a day..I think it has caused them all to be quite wary and irritable. Not what I envisioned getting my lovely flock.
Keep him in a separate cage for now . Let things get better.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Just keep loving them. Terrible breeder sending you sick birds. I agree I’d separate him from the other birds. It will get better. Hang in there.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Just keep loving them. Terrible breeder sending you sick birds. I agree I’d separate him from the other birds. It will get better. Hang in there.
MauiWendy...thank you so much. This has been a horrifying experience that has gone on for over a month and killed the bird I wanted the most. It has traumatized us all!.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Another thing that may be contributing to fighting...cage size is important ,you are keeping multiple birds in a single cage you need a spacious flight cage .
Yes cage size is not in question and they have an entire room to roam in. But I will keep the three EBs I got from this woman in a seperate cage..they are bonded and very good to each other.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Agree with Suzanne. Separate him from the other birds. Put him in his own cage where he can be comfortable, can heal and won't be picked on.
I am going to keep him with his two other EB buddies..they are very sweet and loving to each other. They were all shipped together and bonded.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
MauiWendy...thank you so much. This has been a horrifying experience that has gone on for over a month and killed the bird I wanted the most. It has traumatized us all!.
:( I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hope things improve for you and your birds soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am going to keep him with his two other EB buddies..they are very sweet and loving to each other. They were all shipped together and bonded.
Monitor that because you aren't sure who is picking on him. Hope that things will get better and if you are going to cage him with the two other EBs I hope that works out.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Monitor that because you aren't sure who is picking on him. Hope that things will get better and if you are going to cage him with the two other EBs I hope that works out.
I sure will Iyam. If I see any other wounds I will put him alone but I dont want him to fret being away from his friends..he might be able to take it but I am having a lot of trauma myself over everything that happened.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sure will Iyam. If I see any other wounds I will put him alone but I dont want him to fret being away from his friends..he might be able to take it but I am having a lot of trauma myself over everything that happened.
I felt bad separating birds but they can still see one another and have supervised time together outside of their cages. I had groups of siblings together as well as a bonded pair of red-bellied parrots together and now everyone has their own cage.
What starts as some mild teasing and bullying can turn into major injuries or worse.

I understand where you are coming from after what you went through.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
A day after I got the shipment I could clearly see that Gaga had a respiratory problem. I took her in to the vet immediately. But the rest of her life she spent separated from her friends and then to the vets' for a week of isolation and then she died..all that..she died alone. It made me think about what was best for the rest of them. Extremely hard sometimes because I would rather die among friends than live apart from them. I know that I went ahead and did what was needed but sometimes that is a fine line. In the process of looking at all my flock the vet was able to find out that two older rescue budgies I got several months ago have liver disease. They are on medications..and I am willing to give this a month. But if there is no progress I will not torture my birds for all the distain they will have for me and each other live in fear every day when I come to visit with them.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes cage size is not in question and they have an entire room to roam in. But I will keep the three EBs I got from this woman in a seperate cage..they are bonded and very good to each other.
Sorry to hear about all the issues you have had to confront with your flock. I do hope things will get better for you and your birds very soon.