• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does seed mix make you sneeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
I'm just curious to know if anyone else sneezes/coughs/gets a stuffy nose when they deal with seed mix. I give my birds a tiny bit of seed for enrichment, and I use Brown's parrot mix. When I cut open the bag and pour it into the storage tupperwares, I always instantly get a tingle and itch in my nose, and start sneezing and coughing. My sinuses stuff up for a little while, then it usually just goes away. I'm guessing it's a reaction to the dust that's in there...or perhaps the dried peppers? I can't remember if finch-size seeds do it to me, too. I will have to find out next time I open a bag. It doesn;t generally bother me during daily handling, just with a freshly opened bag. I know seed mix is unhealthy, but I didn't think that included me. :rofl:

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
that happens to me to when i open up the browns mix but only the browns. the bountiful harvest from safebirdstore or the finch seed doesn't do that.

(i notice your from KS to...about where are you located?...i'm close to Hays)

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
Weird! I wonder what's in it? I'm just west of KCK. I've been out to Hays before, helped lead a college class to the Kansas Ornithological Society meeting out there a couple years ago. It was a neat town. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes sometimes it makes me sneeze..

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
It's likely the combination of dust and the red peppers.
Ginger and chili peppers causes the same reaction for me:)

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Weird! I wonder what's in it? I'm just west of KCK. I've been out to Hays before, helped lead a college class to the Kansas Ornithological Society meeting out there a couple years ago. It was a neat town. :)
How cool! I'm not too far south of Topeka. Were you at the Beak N Wings Expo in KCMO last month?

And yeah, I sneeze too. I try to lean away from it but it never works.....

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Yes, I hold my breath. I wonder why it makes us sneeze, maybe the dust or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.