• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does my baby's beak look normal?

EwKa

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there,
I recently got a lovebird, he is really sweet and energetic and full of life, we're still in the taming process. I noticed that his beak has some discolouration at the bottom and a large hole on the top, which I presumed is the nostril, but he doesnt have it on the other side :( 20170325_225238.jpg This is the side with the little hole
20170325_225219.jpg No hole on the other side :(

He is 6 months old, and is on a pellet diet (harrisons ((sp?)) ).
I'm new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes, thank you so so much

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Have you done a vet check yet? New birds should have a vet check to make sure they are healthy. I have never heard of a bird not having both nares. Sure is a beauty, though!

EwKa

Have you done a vet check yet? New birds should have a vet check to make sure they are healthy. I have never heard of a bird not having both nares. Sure is a beauty, though!
The breeder assured me that all of his birds were checked by an avian vet before being sold but now I'm starting to doubt that.
The only vet near me has a bad reputation with small animals (overcharging + lack of care) but I think I might just have to risk it and book an appointment with him anyway :(

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you may have to get an appointment. I'm wondering if the opening is there and maybe skin grew over it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Such a cutie!

Maybe it's blocked up with something? A vet visit is always recommend but in the mean time, is there anyway you can offer a little dish to try to get him to bath in?

Or even better- wipe the nare with a moist (plain water) cotton ball or something?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It really is worth trying to look further out for an avian vet and travelling. Normal vets, particularly ones with a bad reputation with smaller animals, are not going to be worth your time and money.

The darker colour at the end of the beak looks normal to me. It is weird that there is no second nare. Can you get a good look? They do often hide under feathers.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Also, I would supplement your lovie's diet with a little seed and as much fresh vege as he'll eat. He is very beautiful. He looks opaline. The colours will be very vibrant when he's had his first moult.

Mango+Mushi

Meeting neighbors
Hi there,
I recently got a lovebird, he is really sweet and energetic and full of life, we're still in the taming process. I noticed that his beak has some discolouration at the bottom and a large hole on the top, which I presumed is the nostril, but he doesnt have it on the other side :( View attachment 246796 This is the side with the little hole
View attachment 246797 No hole on the other side :(

He is 6 months old, and is on a pellet diet (harrisons ((sp?)) ).
I'm new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes, thank you so so much
The holes on the bottom looks a bit weird, however the nostrils are fine on my end. Sometimes when they scratch it the feathers move and it doesn't block it.

EwKa

Update:

(Really sorry for the late reply! I have been going through an actual nightmare with my internet provider the last couple of weeks.)

Gustav has been seen by a vet, it turned out that a little bit of skin grew over his nostril and that's why it looked concealed. He is on a diet of pellets, seeds and a little bit of fresh veggies! It seems his favourite is broccoli
Thank you so so so much to everyone who has posted a reply!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Glad to hear your baby is doing well after a trip to the Vet. Both nares aka nostril openings should be open and clear or any debris or swelling. Good steamy showers and mistings will also help keep them nice and moist. I have to get my Amazons in the shower and get them to sneeze a few times this clears them out alot of Amazons can be prone to sinusitis so keeping them showered helps!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He is a cutie. Glad to know he is okay and is doing well on his new diet