1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Does Mr Taco need a beak trim?

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by hrafn, 8/9/18.

1. hrafn

hrafn Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

I'm still a big ol' dunce when it comes to macaws, so maybe I'm overreacting and Taco's beak is a-ok, but it looks pretty long to me so I thought I'd consult the macaw squad. :D

20180809_222818.jpg

Faolan and TikiMyn like this.
  2. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    Is there any chance of taking a straight picture of him head beak facing forward?

3. hrafn

hrafn Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

Yes, will do! When he wakes up I'll get one.

4. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Rhiana
    Beautiful side shot. I have no idea but I love his picture.

hrafn likes this.
  5. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

Looking at Burt's beak side on I think it is fair to say that Taco's is a little longer. With saying that though I do need to tell you that Burt is only about 8 months old and I have no idea if they are meant to be a little longer as they mature.

6. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    It's comes down to personal preference. :)
    I'm not much of a beak trimmer myself, I do Maui, Kailua and the hy's every once in a while. The rest seem to keep themselves well shaped.

I'm one of those that if it looks long I will dremel a little during a nail trim and if I'm not doing nails I leave it. If I'm at the vet I have them do it but I don't make special trips to the vet for it.
    It's not terribly long to me. @Hankmacaw will say "Too Long" ;)

7. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    @Macawnutz Is right - I keep Jasper's beak shorter than she keeps her macaws' beaks. I do it because when the Dr. trims it (not often) he trims it shorter. She is such a wuss about everything and doesn't fuss no matter what I do to her.

Shezbug and hrafn like this.
  8. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Mary lynn Snowman
    I think its fine. I don't trim mine. I let their toys trim them. Although a couple of mine don't do toys all the time they do manage to keep their beaks trimmed with them.

Peachfaced likes this.
  9. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah

Oh, at first I thought you were calling me a wuss! :rofl:

Maui needs his beak trimmed. I'll get a picture... I just said two nights ago to Joe "OMG ML would flip out if she saw his beak" :laugh:

10. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

To me it's a little long, but using it should trim it down. Get some new wood toys.

I don't think it needs a vet just yet.

Here is Chaos too long, and trimmed.

beak trim.jpg

Macawnutz, Hankmacaw, Shezbug and 3 others like this.
  11. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Chaos is such a beautiful GW.

macawpower58 likes this.
  12. Macawnutz

Sarah
    Maui, I trimmed it tonight but will get that picture tomorrow, he is a bit angry right now. Wouldn't even let me do much trimming without whining.

20180811_181516.jpg

hrafn likes this.
  13. Barbara jasko

Barbara jasko Meeting neighbors

Barbara
    The beak looks fine to me. Give your bird nuts in the shell to work on. That will help keep the beak trimmed up. Walnuts, almonds, etc. Plus plenty of wooden toys to chew up.

macawpower58 and hrafn like this.
  14. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

I agree on that beak...Pennys beak is looking long,,,vet a few weeks ago did not mention it...

15. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I think it looks a little on the long side of normal. If it were my bird, I'd be fine with that length all the time if he maintains it. If it gets longer, I'd have the vet trim a little bit off. I generally do not do my own bird beaks and the only bird I've had that has needed a beak trimming for a few years has been my red tails late in the summer.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)