• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does he need clicker training?

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Hi, I own a rainbow lorikeet, he is four years old and named Lup'e. He is very tame with me, never bites hard, only bites softly when wrestling. He does bite strangers depending on the mood hes in but only when they put their hand out. If I put him on their arm or shoulder he won't bite them. Hes never been trained properly. Is there a need to clicker train?
P.S I'm not actually sure of the sex of Lup'e, I just refer to him as a boy because its easier to talk about!
Cheers

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Training does help with bonding and reinforce good behavior.

Your bird sounds great. Training is always a good idea though

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Also would me training him make him more gentle with strangers? Or would other people have to do it? Its mainly my new housemates I'm worried about. And thank you!

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
You would have to introduce them to him slowly. If he is only used to you, it would be a good idea to start slow, let them give him treats. The bird may not trust your housemates to train him right away.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Think of clicker training as a game. A fun game that will make the two of you become closer than you are. It strengthens the bond you already have, and sharpens a bird's intelligence. Just like people a bird that uses it's brain, learns to learn. When you make it fun, the bird loves to learn.

So does your bird 'need' training? Probably not. Can training be good for you bird? Absolutely. You also will benefit as you'll gain pride and satisfaction in seeing the intelligence and character in Lup'e, develop and expand.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Training is not going to change how the bird feels about others because the bird has obviously chosen you and has no need or want for others.