• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does formula go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I have a half bag of formula that I have had since last December when Einstein weaned. Would that still be good do you think?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If You have kept it in the Fridge or Freezer,it should be Ok! Check though what it says on the package!

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Even keeping in the refrig for very long times it can go bad; but if it goes bad you will be able to smell it!! If it still smells like formula it should be fine to use. I've had some go bad before that was not very old according to the date package, and I've had some that said it was old that was perfectly ok. I always go by smell.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Yes Kathy, it can go bad. You can tell by smell, if you know how good formula is supposed to smell (of the same brand). Check expiration date and I suggest tossing after that date, even if smells ok - unless it was kept in the freezer from the time you bought it till present and then you can keep somewhat longer.

I keep mine in freezer once opened and smell tested and only take out 1/2 or 1 pound at a time which I keep in an air tight sealed container in fridge or freezer. I use that 1 lb. up fairly quickly.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would imagine that Yes.. It does go bad... but really don't know for sure. I'd call the company that makes it for more info.:)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have had a container of formula in the birdroom refrigerator since last may and it is still good. I just opened it yesterday and smelled it, it smells perfectly nomal.

Status
Not open for further replies.