• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Dexter not like me?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I've noticed something about Dexter. When he meets a new person, he happily steps up onto them. However, when I take him back from the new person, he doesn't want to step up. I usually have to pick him up to get him back. I know it isn't recommended to do this, but I cannot get him off that person otherwise. Any other time, I never pick him up like that, and he rarely refuses to step up when we're alone. I don't want to continue to do this (as I've been told it can make him loose trust in me), but it is impossible, especially when the person holding him doesn't want to wait 20 minutes while I try to get him off. He doesn't like treats too much.
Is there a solution I'm not seeing?
Why does he do this? Does he not like me or what?

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Does he know that right when he gets onto your arm he goes back in the cage?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Does he know that right when he gets onto your arm he goes back in the cage?
No. He steps up to get out of his cage, for comfort feedings, etc. He doesn't do this behavior when at home, which is when he'd be put in his cage.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I don’t think that he doesn’t like you, I think they’re (cockatoos) very sociable and love attention. My aunt has several and when I’m there they get on me and don’t want to get off either when she puts her arm out.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Do you have any advice about not forcing him? I don't know how to avoid this

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I might be in the minority here but when I want my bird to step up or get off someone, yep, I force them.
I ‘make’ the bird step up, reward him for doing so with a treat and my saying enthusiastically ‘good bird!”

They know when they hear that a treat is coming. At home they have choices, free range etc..but if we’re in a dangerous situation and I need them to step up I want them to do it right away.

For example some people are very fearful of the larger birds and one might get on their shoulder unexpectedly. I need to get the bird off asap before that person freaks out or gets bit.

You just need to experiment with different foods and find something Dexter REALLY loves. Then use it only for reinforcing his good behaviors.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried tempting him with special treats?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I agree, I think he is just being sociable and enjoying the attention of new people.
You could bring a handheld rope perch or natural wood perch. Mine will all readily step onto a perch when they might try to avoid my hand.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Have you tried tempting him with special treats?
I've tried many treats. Nutriberries, a variety of fruits and veggies, bird seed mix, baby bird food (he likes it when he's hungry, but I can't carry around a messy syringe full of slop), bird bread, and more, but he never really is willing to work for any of it.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Try shelled almonds or slivered almonds..pine nuts

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with the others, he is probably just enjoying the attention:) Henkie might not be a cockatoo but he is an attention freak, 99% of the time someone enters the room he immediantly leaves me and flies to the new person. Luckily he is food motivated and I can usually get him off with just asking him or showing him a treat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton loves attention from others and will sit with them all day if left to his own devices. The fact is that he will flirt shamelessly with women...and totally ignore me in the process. There are sometimes where I must insist (force, if you will) that Milty come off a person...this is why I don't want Milt to climb on a person's shoulders.
When he's there, he'll run behind a person's head to get away from me...and there's nothing more embarrassing than to plead with a stubborn cockatoo to do something in public. It doesn't inspire confidence in people that you can control an animal that could hurt others.

When I want Milt to step up...and he balks...I immediately gently bring two fingers up on his chest...and put the other hand on his back. That signals to Milt that I need him to step up. When he steps up, I take my hand off his back.

Milton is also NOT food driven...which does complicate things...

Last edited: