• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone own or have experience with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
SIBERIAN CATS. I have always wanted a cat but there were always some allergy issues concering them. From the research I have done in the past (2yrs ago) on them they are known to be naturally hypoallergenic to many people with cat allergies. If I remember correctly it has something to do with their saliva and dander.

As some of you may know we have shown dogs and I find this breed of cat STUNNING and would love to get into showing/ocassional breeding if it comes to it. But I would love to hear some first hand experience with them.

I know the hubbys mother had a Siamese when he was a kid and he really likes them but I think despite the short hair they are just like all other cats allergy wise? Correct?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
yes siamese have cat dander and you can be allergic to them I hope you can find out more about the others

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Kim, yes, please post pics of your kitty! :D

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I would love to see pics :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Through the years, I've heard about hypoallergenic qualities in various breeds, usually sphynx or other very short-haired breeds. But, there's no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat. Sorry. There are some that have very short or no fur, some that have a little less dander or who groom themselves less and so have less saliva on their fur, but if you're allergic to cats, you'll be allergic to any cat, just to a greater or lesser extent. All cats have skin, and all cats groom at least somewhat--so there's bound to be some dander and saliva with any cat.

kim

Meeting neighbors
I was going to mention also--i have heard of breeders letting people have kittens on a trial basis to see if you are allergic to that particular cat. Of course you would probably want a breeder that was reasonably close by.

I will try to post more and some pics tomorrow.

kim

Meeting neighbors
DSC_0094.jpg

CSC_0029.jpg

Here are some that are mostly from his first year Picasa Web Albums - cellist - truman

He has a very sweet and affectionate personality and he likes all people and all other cats. Young male cats are usually pretty independent, but he likes to sit on my lap and purr. When he is hungry, he becomes super cute! Miss Bunny, our other cat just stares at you when she wants food. Miss Bunny does not care for other cats at all, but truman does a great job of getting along with her. If you hold him properly, he likes to be carried around, very unusual for a cat.

On the slightly negative side, they are chewers, kind of like dogs. I have heard of siberians chewing up shoes or cords. We had to replace an iphone cord and a macbook cord. Now we keep them put away in a drawer when not in use. Also, they are predatory towards small birds. We used to let cats into the bird room when the birds were in cages, but not since I turned around one day and saw truman climbing up the side of a cage.

Overall though, we love the little guy and I can't imagine ever getting another cat that is not a siberian!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow, I've never heard of them before. They are beautiful.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
O wow he is beautiful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.