• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone know how to tell DSH from DLH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
We have adopted a tiny stray kitten. This is big-time new for us as we always pick the oldest of kitties since they have the least chance at shelters/rescues/etc.

Normally they are at least seven upon arrival if not in their teens.

This kitten is fluffy, are they all fluffy?

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
A Domestic short hair will be short haired from the start even as a little tacker. If you have a fluffball then you get into degrees of long hair. This can sometimes be hard to tell as to whether you have a semi longhaired or a long haired. Our tabby girl was a fluff ball but has turned into a semi as a mature cat. My ragdoll Cosi is slightly fluffier at the same age but by breed we know that he'll be be more longhaired then Elsa.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
We have adopted a tiny stray kitten. This is big-time new for us as we always pick the oldest of kitties since they have the least chance at shelters/rescues/etc.

Normally they are at least seven upon arrival if not in their teens.

This kitten is fluffy, are they all fluffy?
If you post pictures I can tell you what I think it will be:) Sometimes DLH will have more hair on the bottoms of their feet. Most kittens look fluffy but longhaired kittens usually have longer hair, almost like "whispies".:heart:

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I would love to post a pic of her, but photobucket keeps crashing my computer. He is only 7 1/2 weeks old. I know that's way too young, but that's what he is.

His siblings had shorter hair than him, but I don't think he looks whispy like a true DLH. We shall see I guess. We are going to the vet tomorrow as he has that kitten conjuctivitis thing.

He's so tiny. I'm a nervous wreck about him. Luckily the other animals have been great with him. Our basset is wonderfully gentle with him, our Shih Tzu has always loved the cats, and even Spicey tolerates him wonderfully. Our two big black cats are uneasy with him but tolerant and gentle. I'm more worried about accidental injury at this point because he is SO tiny.

He will RUN across the house to potty too, its amazing, so little and already has the hang of the litterbox! Crazy!

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Okay, I'm thinking DSH or DMH, because he's poofier than in the pics but not whispy. Does that make sense?? LOL!

You can see the eye gook too, sorry, but even sick he is too cute. :)

Here is him just home. His fur that should have been white was sooo black with soot, it was disgusting. Took two baths to get MOST of it out! Some is just stained in, poor kitty...

This pic he is wet and you can see better the depth of coat.

But here he is now, very fluffy and thick but still looking like a DSH maybe?

And just looking cute, LOL:

He has a cataract in one eye and the infection in the other, but he's ours for the next twenty years or so! :) :) :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Okay, I'm thinking DSH or DMH, because he's poofier than in the pics but not whispy. Does that make sense?? LOL!

You can see the eye gook too, sorry, but even sick he is too cute. :)

Here is him just home. His fur that should have been white was sooo black with soot, it was disgusting. Took two baths to get MOST of it out! Some is just stained in, poor kitty...

This pic he is wet and you can see better the depth of coat.

But here he is now, very fluffy and thick but still looking like a DSH maybe?

And just looking cute, LOL:

He has a cataract in one eye and the infection in the other, but he's ours for the next twenty years or so! :) :) :)
I think it will be medium:) He is very cute. I hope his infections get cleared up. Poor little dude:hug8:

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
All kittens are pretty much fluffy lol until they get older I consider them a DMH--Domestic Medium Hair

My kitten is pretty fluffy but I don't think he will be a long haired cat, more of a medium hair.

Clifford was a rescue as well and the vet just labled him as a DMH :)
:hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Awwww your kitten is sooooooo beautiful.
:hug8:

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
OMG how cute is he!!! Does he have thumbs too? How cute!!

I forgot to post his name too, its Stuey, like from Family Guy. My daughter wanted to call him Domino but his spots mostly merged as he got bigger (she saw him at 3 weeks). The fee is a donation to spay mama cat - a TNR (or soon to be) feral.

Thanks for the input guys! How old until they can neuter a male kitten? I read six months? Will they have hormones prior to this though? I don't want to get into a spray habit...

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I'm guessing medium hair, too:) Although, in a couple of the pics, it looks kinda long. Time will tell.....

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
OMG he is soooo cute. He has a nice round kittie shape. His eyes will get cleared up and he will be a happy kitty!!! I would say closer to long hair - take a look at Six, he is almost bald compared to Stuey

Attachments

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
OMG how cute is he!!! Does he have thumbs too? How cute!!

I forgot to post his name too, its Stuey, like from Family Guy. My daughter wanted to call him Domino but his spots mostly merged as he got bigger (she saw him at 3 weeks). The fee is a donation to spay mama cat - a TNR (or soon to be) feral.

Thanks for the input guys! How old until they can neuter a male kitten? I read six months? Will they have hormones prior to this though? I don't want to get into a spray habit...
yes my kitty has thumbs lol
My vet says they need to be either 2 lbs OR I think one of my males was neutered at like 2-3 months. Depends on the size and your vet :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Definitely either medium or long hair. It depends on your vet a bit, but most vets I know will neuter kittens once they're over 8 weeks old and weigh more than 2 pounds.

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Look at Six!! I love having a kitten. I'll tell you what, I can't believe how fun they are!! Like a puppy with automatic housetraining, LOL. I never realized they played soooo much.

He's already stalking everything in sight, even imaginary things. Especially imaginary things, LOL. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.