• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone have experience with African Ringnecks?

birbie

Moving in
I have had this bird for about a week now. I was told he is approximately 18 months old and that he is semi-tame (he will step up on your finger but does not like to be pet). I was wondering if anyone has experience specifically with African ringnecks because I find some of his behaviors very different compared to all the other breeds of birds I have had in my life. He is extremely quiet, he doesn't chirp or sing at all (the last owners said he would chirp a little only in the morning, but he has not at all with me yet). I gave him a huge cage with multiple toys and a snuggle hut, but he just basically sits on the same perch all day moving only to eat. He is very skittish and seems to be sort of scared of hands. I know it is early on, but what I find odd is that he is not curious about anything.. like he doesn't explore the cage and is not at all interested in anything in there; if he flies out of the cage (which is rare, I leave it open all day but he's only come out a few times) he just finds somewhere to sit and does nothing.. not that I want anything chewed up or destroyed, but that is the kind of bird behavior I am used to. So I am just wondering if this is normal for this species? I have the feeling that he is not interested at all in having contact with me, as if he tolerates me talking to him and being near him, but he is not curious or interested like other birds I have had. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, I just don't know what to make of it.

If after a few months it doesn't seem like he is developing any interest in humans, should I just let him be wild and get him a friend of the same species? I will keep him either way I just don't know how to proceed.. like I don't want to force a bird to "play" with me if it doesn't want to. He is the only inside bird right now, all the others are in outside aviaries. He is in front of a big window though and can see birds outside.

I have read a lot about Indian ringnecks and am not really looking for feedback on them because from what I have read I think the species are very different.

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Well growing up with a ringneck in the house id have to say this behavior isn't completely off. They do what they want honesty. They aren't really loud birds and they sort of like doing their own thing. Don't get me wrong, they make awesome shoulder birds and are for the most part calm and collected yet goofy and curious. Now obviously every bird is different and in no way follows a standard.

With that said you've had him for about a week. It can take birds up to three weeks or even more to feel comfortable in their new surroundings. My mother used to own a pet shop in Florida and this was back when ringnecks weren't hardly even on the market. She hand raised him and he became our family bird. Even him being hand reared he still was an independent quiet guy. They are smart and like to sit and watch taking in their surroundings. I want to say 90% of IRNs don't like being petted all too much. As for the lack of interest in his cage furnishings, well that is a bit odd. But also not overly surprising for a ringneck. But like i said, no bird follows an exact standard and he could just be taking his sweet time getting acclimated.

Next thing i want to mention is that like with all good bird/owner relationships it takes time. You can't ever give up putting in the time it takes to bond with a new bird. there are so many factors when it comes to taming a new bird. You just need to be consistent and follow through.

Now to dabble on the extreme aspect here...he could be ill. The bird sounds lethargic possibly. Maybe he's not feeling well. But i feel you truly can't jump to this scenario as like I've stated, its only been a week. There are some tell tale signs of an ill bird you'd need to look into if you wanted to check him out. for such

All in all, what you described just doesn't seem that far off from many ringnecks out there. Give him some more time and you can take it from there. Good luck with your new bird :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does your African ringneck have an import band on his leg? If so, it is unlikely that he was handfed. I am not sure about African ringnecks being very different from Indian ringnecks, but @Monica may be able to help you as she has an African ringneck.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have read a lot about Indian ringnecks and am not really looking for feedback on them because from what I have read I think the species are very different.
IRN's and ARN's share *a lot* of common personality behaviors, but they are also quite different birds. There are *MANY* ARN's that are still imported as wild caught birds. Sylphie is one. The old import bands were "round", with 3 letters and 3-4 numbers. The new import bands are "flat" with 3 letters and 5 numbers.

IRN's are also more commonly hand raised than ARN's are, which makes finding out information about them to be even more difficult. IRN's have colors, ARN's don't.

As per my sources, Sylphie was imported May of 2013, and she's been with me for 3 years. In that time frame, I have *never* seen her take a drink of water. I know she's drinking (otherwise, she'd be dead! she also fouls up the water...), but I've never personally witnessed her take a drink.

Pictures - Foster Bird | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
African Ringeck, Imports, Food & Damaged Feathers | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I have had this bird for about a week now. I was told he is approximately 18 months old and that he is semi-tame (he will step up on your finger but does not like to be pet). I was wondering if anyone has experience specifically with African ringnecks because I find some of his behaviors very different compared to all the other breeds of birds I have had in my life.
Species - not breed.

And my experience is different than yours. If the information you provided is correct, that leads me to believe your bird was captive raised instead of wild caught. The not petting is typically of many ringnecks...

He is extremely quiet, he doesn't chirp or sing at all (the last owners said he would chirp a little only in the morning, but he has not at all with me yet).
Sylphie is pretty quiet, too... honestly, people don't even notice her because of how quiet she is until they see her! Or she moves! She used to be even quieter when she first came here... so I'd say that's "normal" behavior. As he settles in, he may start making more noises. If he chirped most mornings, I feel that's more noise than Sylphie has done. She does make noises, but it's uncommon and kind of rare to hear them. That said, when I temporarily housed her with cockatiels, she did make more noises then... but only to scare the cockatiels away from wherever she wanted to be... she's now housed alone.

I gave him a huge cage with multiple toys and a snuggle hut, but he just basically sits on the same perch all day moving only to eat.
As you said, it's early on...

He is very skittish and seems to be sort of scared of hands.

Will he take any treats from your hands?

I know it is early on, but what I find odd is that he is not curious about anything.. like he doesn't explore the cage and is not at all interested in anything in there; if he flies out of the cage (which is rare, I leave it open all day but he's only come out a few times) he just finds somewhere to sit and does nothing..
From my own experience, that is odd... but then again, with Sylphie, if she was out of the cage, she was constantly trying to fly through the window! I haven't even seen captive raised birds do that unless startled! For Sylphie, it was her mission to get through the window!

Since she's been here a while now, and I've moved her around a few times, she would now rather live in my walk in aviary than the smaller flight cage that I have her in... and the only reason she went back into the smaller cage is because that's where the food is.

I have the feeling that he is not interested at all in having contact with me, as if he tolerates me talking to him and being near him, but he is not curious or interested like other birds I have had.
Sounds like Sylphie... she was only interested in interacting with me because I was feeding the cockatiels by hand... when she lived with them, if the 'tiels were eating from my hands, she would fly over, scare them off, attempt to eat, but then chicken out and fly away. She never became comfortable enough to touch me on her own.

That said, once I discovered she was wild caught and not captive raised, I backed off trying to get her used to me. I'd rather find an aviary like others of her kind and place her in it since I can't release her (and she was found outside at one point in time - well, two!), but my area isn't really well known for being big on bird keeping... I'm sure there are hundreds of people who keep birds! And likewise, hundreds of people I wouldn't trust with her! I refuse to clip her wings and do not want to put her in a situation where she'll end up being clipped and force tamed. She would not be happy!

I have no doubt that if I put the effort in, I could get her more used to humans, but the fact that she's wild caught breaks my heart. I just don't see her being as happy in a pet situation than being in a flight with other ARN's.

If after a few months it doesn't seem like he is developing any interest in humans, should I just let him be wild and get him a friend of the same species? I will keep him either way I just don't know how to proceed.. like I don't want to force a bird to "play" with me if it doesn't want to. He is the only inside bird right now, all the others are in outside aviaries. He is in front of a big window though and can see birds outside.
That would be entirely up to you and how you work with him. Take a look here first and go through the threads and videos. If you want to work on getting him to come out of his shell, I recommend starting here.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

birbie

Moving in
Thank you everyone for all the info! He doesn't have a band. He will take food from my hand but drops it every time, and I'm not sure if it is because he has trouble holding it in his beak or if he is dropping it on purpose. His wings are clipped right now and since I have had a bird accidentally escape and fly away in the past, I think it is best to keep them clipped unless I put him in an outside aviary. I am kind of concerned for when the time comes that he will be traumatized being picked up/held for the clipping.. I would probably take him to a groomer so that he does not associate me with the experience.

Monica I have not seen him drink water either! He won't even eat from his bowl if anyone is near the cage. He is a very neat eater too, hardly any seeds are on the floor outside of the cage.

I guess I will see how it goes! He is a beautiful bird! I just don't want him to be lonely or bored.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Clipping is no guarantee that you can keep a bird safe from flying off... :(

I included photos in this thread of clipped parrots flying.

Pictures - Wing trims and flying | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And the following thread goes into more details about pros and cons of clipping vs flight. Thread is closed now, but it's one of the more recent threads that talk about the entire clipping vs flight debate.

Pros and Cons of clipping wings | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I've been on both sides of the "fence". My first budgie was clipped and killed by a cat. He didn't even have a *chance* of survival! I was a young kid at the time and my mother was spraying the house with RAID to kill insects, so he couldn't be in the house. He was moved to my grandmothers house where it's an open concept. There *are* doors, but never closed... (if doors closed, then rooms get too hot or too cold, depending on season) and the cat chose to go after the bird cage, knocked it over, breaking it apart, and went for my first bird.

There is no guarantee that if he was flighted that he still wouldn't have been killed, but at least he would have had a fighting chance.

Lost another budgie because he was tame, friendly and had a partial clip. Had him out at a park. Again, young and stupid! I was 2 hours away from home and my mother needed to rest so she stopped at a park. I wasn't tired, so I took one of my budgies out so we could spend time at a park. He got startled by something and flew up into a tree. People tried to help me get him back down but he wouldn't have it, he was having too much fun! Then I ran to get my other budgie I had (not tame/friendly) to see if she would entice him down (kept her in the cage), but by the time I got back, he was gone... and I had to leave shortly after that. Maybe if he had a more severe clip he wouldn't have gotten away? Or maybe, with enough adrenaline, he would have still gotten away? All it takes is adrenaline and a good breeze and they can take off!

I've also seen several birds with various clips learn to fly despite their handicaps! So please, do not ever think that clipping is any safety net to keeping him from flying off! (I myself am pro-flight - even in training! and with aggressive birds! I don't feel that there are very many reasons for clipping...)

Back on topic....

He will take food from my hand but drops it every time, and I'm not sure if it is because he has trouble holding it in his beak or if he is dropping it on purpose.
He's doing it on purpose. Either he's not hungry or the value of the reward isn't high enough. Instead of giving it to him from your hands, try offering it on a spoon, or have a cup designated for treats that he can eat from instead or just placing it down next to him! He doesn't *have* to take the treat from you!

I am kind of concerned for when the time comes that he will be traumatized being picked up/held for the clipping.. I would probably take him to a groomer so that he does not associate me with the experience.
I find birds to be rather forgiving.... my mitred conure, Charlie, got the short end of the stick when he decided to bully a blind ruby macaw in his foster home. He's now missing half of his lower beak which requires trimming for the rest of his life. This happened when he was 12 years old. He's 23 now. I use a dremel to keep his beak in "shape" so it doesn't get too long. He doesn't like having his beak dremeled, but he puts up with it. I don't use a towel or anything to restrain him from getting away.... I merely have him sitting in my lap, steady his head with one hand and dremel with the other.

That said, if it's not something you feel comfortable with doing on your own (re: grooming in general), it's always best to find someone more experienced to do it for you.

Something to keep in mind though... if a bird is flighted and *chooses* to be with you, they will fly to you for interaction. If a bird is clipped and forced to be with you, if they are ever flighted and given choice, they may choose to *NOT* be with you. You will *know* you trained a bird right if they choose to be with you regardless of them being clipped or flighted.

He won't even eat from his bowl if anyone is near the cage. He is a very neat eater too, hardly any seeds are on the floor outside of the cage.
Sylphie was like that in the beginning, too. Not anymore! She used to eat Nutriberries so slow and meticulously, making sure to eat each and every single bite! Now, she might eat a few pieces then drops the rest! She used to have the cleanest water bowl and now it's one of the dirtiest. (not terrible, but still dirtier than the other cages when I clean their water bowls!)

At one point in time she did allow me to sit about 2-3 feet away from her cage while she ate and she was "okay" with it, but I didn't keep this up, so we never got any closer than that.

birbie

Moving in
thanks for the tips Monica! those are definitely good points about the clipping!

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
IRN's and ARN's share *a lot* of common personality behaviors, but they are also quite different birds. There are *MANY* ARN's that are still imported as wild caught birds. Sylphie is one. The old import bands were "round", with 3 letters and 3-4 numbers. The new import bands are "flat" with 3 letters and 5 numbers.

IRN's are also more commonly hand raised than ARN's are, which makes finding out information about them to be even more difficult. IRN's have colors, ARN's don't.

As per my sources, Sylphie was imported May of 2013, and she's been with me for 3 years. In that time frame, I have *never* seen her take a drink of water. I know she's drinking (otherwise, she'd be dead! she also fouls up the water...), but I've never personally witnessed her take a drink.

Pictures - Foster Bird | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
African Ringeck, Imports, Food & Damaged Feathers | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I have had this bird for about a week now. I was told he is approximately 18 months old and that he is semi-tame (he will step up on your finger but does not like to be pet). I was wondering if anyone has experience specifically with African ringnecks because I find some of his behaviors very different compared to all the other breeds of birds I have had in my life.
Species - not breed.

And my experience is different than yours. If the information you provided is correct, that leads me to believe your bird was captive raised instead of wild caught. The not petting is typically of many ringnecks...

He is extremely quiet, he doesn't chirp or sing at all (the last owners said he would chirp a little only in the morning, but he has not at all with me yet).
Sylphie is pretty quiet, too... honestly, people don't even notice her because of how quiet she is until they see her! Or she moves! She used to be even quieter when she first came here... so I'd say that's "normal" behavior. As he settles in, he may start making more noises. If he chirped most mornings, I feel that's more noise than Sylphie has done. She does make noises, but it's uncommon and kind of rare to hear them. That said, when I temporarily housed her with cockatiels, she did make more noises then... but only to scare the cockatiels away from wherever she wanted to be... she's now housed alone.

I gave him a huge cage with multiple toys and a snuggle hut, but he just basically sits on the same perch all day moving only to eat.
As you said, it's early on...

He is very skittish and seems to be sort of scared of hands.

Will he take any treats from your hands?

I know it is early on, but what I find odd is that he is not curious about anything.. like he doesn't explore the cage and is not at all interested in anything in there; if he flies out of the cage (which is rare, I leave it open all day but he's only come out a few times) he just finds somewhere to sit and does nothing..
From my own experience, that is odd... but then again, with Sylphie, if she was out of the cage, she was constantly trying to fly through the window! I haven't even seen captive raised birds do that unless startled! For Sylphie, it was her mission to get through the window!

Since she's been here a while now, and I've moved her around a few times, she would now rather live in my walk in aviary than the smaller flight cage that I have her in... and the only reason she went back into the smaller cage is because that's where the food is.

I have the feeling that he is not interested at all in having contact with me, as if he tolerates me talking to him and being near him, but he is not curious or interested like other birds I have had.
Sounds like Sylphie... she was only interested in interacting with me because I was feeding the cockatiels by hand... when she lived with them, if the 'tiels were eating from my hands, she would fly over, scare them off, attempt to eat, but then chicken out and fly away. She never became comfortable enough to touch me on her own.

That said, once I discovered she was wild caught and not captive raised, I backed off trying to get her used to me. I'd rather find an aviary like others of her kind and place her in it since I can't release her (and she was found outside at one point in time - well, two!), but my area isn't really well known for being big on bird keeping... I'm sure there are hundreds of people who keep birds! And likewise, hundreds of people I wouldn't trust with her! I refuse to clip her wings and do not want to put her in a situation where she'll end up being clipped and force tamed. She would not be happy!

I have no doubt that if I put the effort in, I could get her more used to humans, but the fact that she's wild caught breaks my heart. I just don't see her being as happy in a pet situation than being in a flight with other ARN's.

That would be entirely up to you and how you work with him. Take a look here first and go through the threads and videos. If you want to work on getting him to come out of his shell, I recommend starting here.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
This is very interesting. I have a ARN "Moto" I bought from Finch Farm. He/she was 6 months old when he arrived. He was bred in captivity (or so they say) but parent raised (no band). He came in January and has been with me for about 6 months. He will not take a treat from my hand or anything attached to my hand. He will eat/drink in front of me as long as I am at least 5 feet away. I keep his door open often and so far he has not ventured out, I try to entice him to do so by putting a rope perch and his food bowl right at the open door. In the morning Moto wakes me up with jibberish and I believe he/she is trying to say "hello" we banter back and forth for several minutes. This started about 2 weeks ago. Our most special time is when I roll his cage out to the deck and give him his bath I mist him with the hose on very fine spray, this he seems to love this, the closest we come to touching is my hand 3 feet away with the misting hose. I still keep trying. He still gets frantic when I change the feed dish and water dish even though I have uneventfully done both twice a day for 6 months.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I have had this bird for about a week now. I was told he is approximately 18 months old and that he is semi-tame (he will step up on your finger but does not like to be pet). I was wondering if anyone has experience specifically with African ringnecks because I find some of his behaviors very different compared to all the other breeds of birds I have had in my life. He is extremely quiet, he doesn't chirp or sing at all (the last owners said he would chirp a little only in the morning, but he has not at all with me yet). I gave him a huge cage with multiple toys and a snuggle hut, but he just basically sits on the same perch all day moving only to eat. He is very skittish and seems to be sort of scared of hands. I know it is early on, but what I find odd is that he is not curious about anything.. like he doesn't explore the cage and is not at all interested in anything in there; if he flies out of the cage (which is rare, I leave it open all day but he's only come out a few times) he just finds somewhere to sit and does nothing.. not that I want anything chewed up or destroyed, but that is the kind of bird behavior I am used to. So I am just wondering if this is normal for this species? I have the feeling that he is not interested at all in having contact with me, as if he tolerates me talking to him and being near him, but he is not curious or interested like other birds I have had. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, I just don't know what to make of it.

This is exactly the way my African Ringneck Moto behaved, skittish and afraid and he prefers to sit in two spots in his cage and can sit there and stare out the window for hours. He has no interest in humans at all, and I have had mine now for 6 months. Overtime I have developed a routine for rolling out his cage to the deck and cleaning it and misting him which he seems to enjoy, we talk back and forth in the morning (this was 3 or 4 months in) and he has just learned to say "hello" but only does it in the early morning. He makes a few oddish noises in the evening just before dark but never talks then. I opted not to clip his wings. So far he has a choice to come out of his large cage but has never opted to do so. He was 6 months when he arrived and so now he is about a year old. I am not certain yet if it is a he or a she.

Marci11

Meeting neighbors
My ARN is a nut! N.U.T. Nut. I have had him for six years. He loves to be out of his cage, yells if I ignore him. Every morning when I refill his water, he has to be on my shoulder for the ride. Give yours time/attention.

If you clip at home, follow the "towel" technique so your bird wont associate the trauma with hands. let me know if you have any questions.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I've recently rescued an African Ringneck. They don't seem very common birds as not much information on them at all. My vet has never seen one and she works with birds. I'm in UK though maybe they more common abroad.

He's just started making noise...he isn't well though due to poor nutriton and can't be handled at all without giving hm a near heart attack so I am considering finding a vet who does wild birds as I want him to get blood tests but without sedation. lol

He has started using toys though. He likes to forage I think it is all about patience and finding what they enjoy.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I've recently rescued an African Ringneck. They don't seem very common birds as not much information on them at all. My vet has never seen one and she works with birds. I'm in UK though maybe they more common abroad.

He's just started making noise...he isn't well though due to poor nutriton and can't be handled at all without giving hm a near heart attack so I am considering finding a vet who does wild birds as I want him to get blood tests but without sedation. lol

He has started using toys though. He likes to forage I think it is all about patience and finding what they enjoy.
I have had to towel my ARN twice since I had her, hated doing it, and yes she freaked out hates being touched.
They are not really that common here in the US I had a hard time finding one, and was unable to find a hand raised one at all.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
My ARN is a 10 year old rescue so for me I'm not surprised he's afraid of me. The more I improve his life the better he gets. I've only had him with me 2 and a half weeks. I think he was around a smoker at some point in his life and I know he was next to an open plan kitchen living on monkey nuts and cheap dusty seed stuff.

My concern is how to get him checked at a vet as he has been once but he was so stressed vet didn't want to risk examining him and she wants me to get him used to being handled first. Getting him to perch on me I can do with time but holding him enough to allow blood tests and x-rays? I can imagine that taking years...it was a lot easier with budgies and canaries. lol

He's malnourished and unfit so I can't imagine him surviving sedation and he is Mr Giraffe Neck and can stretch his neck and bite no matter how you hold him. lol He is a silly boy.

Currently I'm trying to feed him up. Finding out the diet was hard work! I had to research other Psittacula birds. I'm lucky he's adventurous and will eat anything so I made him some veggie chop. He also gets fruit as I read they eat fruit in wild.

I'm not the kind of person who'd get rid of him but I do want to get a bird friend for him which is another problem! Vet says get another ARN but they aren't the kind of bird who comes up available to rescue. I'm considering other parrot type birds of a similar size and behaviour...in separate cage of course.

Attachments

MaliVerde

Checking out the neighborhood
I have an ARN I believe a female for almost a yr now her name is Mali pronounced "Molly" and we have not been able to get her to sit on our shoulder or even touch her at all ! She is free to roam the house as she pleases but usually she just sits on the door outside her house or on the vegi basket that hangs in the kitchen . Can't even get her to take food or treats from our hand but she eats when we eat as though we are all part of the flock , which I love since I feel that is when she is being social with us and she always yells when we are in another room and as soon as we go into the living room she stops like to say she's glad we are all in the same room I try teach her words and lately it seems she is trying to say pretty bird and she laughs which I think she learned from watching tv !! I had a love bird for 19 yrs and he was very social would sit in shoulder fingers hands even snuggle under the blankets with me so that is why I have a hard time now that Mali is so distant but since I've been reading that this is common behavior with ARN I feel more at ease that's it's not anything I've done it's just her nature and that hopefully with time she will come around to sit on our shoulder or at least hangout on the sofa with us

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Hi all sorry I haven't been here in a bit. Any up-dates on your ARN's?
Well here is mine; Moto has now been here nearly a year (can't believe how fast time flies). With much trepidation I decided to clip Moto's wings, it was something I did not want to do, but after a year of trying "everything" we were not making much progress and I also have a Parrotlet so I wanted them to be able to socialize when out, but let the little one be able to fly away if needed. Guess what, I trimmed Moto's wings the same as I did my conure years ago and she CAN still fly, I mean it really didn't make that much of a difference. I am really frightened to go any shorter on the flight feathers honestly. So that's it not much to report, still the same no real connection. I am of the opinion that:
A: Moto was older than I was lead to believe when I purchased her
B. She came here extremely fearful of people with zero handling
C. She is a she for sure, No black ring and she is at least 2 years old now perhaps more
D. I will just have to love her the way she is

Luckily I have my sweet Parrotlet Kya, and I can handle her and love on her.
Would love to hear how you are doing with yours?