• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone else feed their birds Hawaiian Sweet Noodle Mix?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I bought it for my birds on a whim, and all four really took to it. I was really surprised at how fast everyone just started chowing down on it. Within two days of being introduced to the stuff, all four of my birds eat it quite happily (including Geralt, who only got here a few days ago). But maaaaaaaaaaaaan does it stink when you cook it. It smells like a vegan hippie commune just came over to cook lunch and praise mother earth in your kitchen. I know it's supposed to be for larger birds, but it's super easy for my guys to eat.

Is there a better mix out there? Any homemade recipes for this sort of stuff? Anyone know how to cook this stuff without your family complaining about the smell when they come home?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I’m curious about the ingredients. Can you list them?

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Ingredients
Pasta. Fruit (20% mix of Papaya, Pineapple, Raisins), Cereals, Vegetables, Seeds, Minerals, Methionine, Treonine
How to Use
Pour the contents of 1 sachet into a bowl (suitable for microwaving)
Add 50ml of water and mix well.
Put into the microwave for about 3 minutes (1000W) - DO NOT COVER.
Feeding Directions
Allow to cool before feeding to your bird.
Storage
A prepared mix can be kept for up to 2 days in the fridge

Hawaiian Sweet Noodle Mix is a sweet fruity mix with tri-coloured pasta and a lot of scrumptious vegetables for your Parrot to enjoy. The added extruded pellets are enriched with essential vitamins, amino acids and minerals to ensure your bird gets a tantalisingly tasty meal full of essential goodness.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I’ve never heard of it. The above is copy/pasted from the northern parrots site.

Homemade-

You can boil tri-colored pasta and then take fresh raw veggies and puree them in a blender or food processer.

Add some pellets and/or seeds and store all together in a glass jar in fridge.

Slightly warm in oven before serving.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love anything by Avian Organics! And everything smells awesome ;)

Other options are things like Higgins Worldly Cuisines. My birds all love the African Sunset

The Volkman 15 Minute blend is probably most like what you have there, but my birds are "meh" about it.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
I've never heard of it either. I use Higgins Worldy Cuisine. They have a good line of foods. The African Sunset is a hit and I mixed it into with birdie chop. It can also be good served by itself. It smells good too!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@WallyLoopey Hmn, I didn't know it was that simple to make something similar to it.The only thing giving me reason to pause is that I like the ingredients in this mix. Stuff like certain fresh fruits can be really hard to find off-season here. I might just keep the rest of the box on a need to use basis and do what I can to make it fresh instead. I should at least be able to throw in some frozen fruits and vegetables from my freezer into the mix and hope they don't realize that there's more good stuff in their bowl.

@Smbrds I'll keep an eye out for Higgins stuff around here. I'm not sure why, but Versel-Laga stuff seems to be on every shelf here. Not that I'm complaining, the stuff I find is usually very good, but it's nigh impossible to shop around here.

@Mizzely The Volkman blend looks very similar, but I think the Volman stuff might have more of a variety of fruits and veggies.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
If they love it, use it! I wish they were a little more detailed about their ingredients though.

Most birds love tri color pasta and adding red pepper flakes and/or red palm oil can make them try a lot of new foods.

I hate the smell of red palm oil but they go crazy for it. Last night I made them plain popcorn and poured it on and then sprinkled pellets crumbs on that as their ‘topping’. Ha!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I think the box has a more detailed list, but I'll have to check it later. But red palm oil? I've never heard of that. We have regular palm oil in the house, but I don't think I've ever seen that stuff. Would it be more of a vegan/health store thing?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've never even seen anything like that, thank you! I might have to get the human-grade one to 'justify' it to my mom. these are my birds and my money, but she's not a bird person and doesn't get why I don't keep them in a cage and feed them things other than seeds. At least if I get the Nutiva stuff, I can say it's 'for cooking'. :p

Thank you!