• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does any body know where I can buy "chop" that is free of fatty ingredients?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Does any body know of a seller who sells parrot chop without these ingredients - sun flower oil/seed and peanut? I'm looking for a healthy chop. So far I've found Mikey and Mia. One of their chops is minus these ingredients but even some of there chops have the fatty stuff but their parrots are also free flighted on a daily basis so that fatty stuff is essential to their parrots. Definitely isn't essential to mine. Mikey and Mia chop is from England so it really isn't suitable to make their chop into my go to. I'd like to find a chop here in US that is healthy. There has to be a US seller someplace that sells the healthy stuff.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There's several here in the US. I compiled a list of companies I'm familiar with here: Alternative Parrot Food Options

The ones I frequent are:

(Canada based)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
There's several here in the US. I compiled a list of companies I'm familiar with here: Alternative Parrot Food Options

The ones I frequent are:

(Canada based)
Thank you! Im excited to check them out

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're welcome! I usually make my own chop and freeze it, but I like having some dry on days I forget to thaw or am in-between batches :)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
You're welcome! I usually make my own chop and freeze it, but I like having some dry on days I forget to thaw or am in-between batches :)
I don't know if you'd call what I make chop but every morning I cook for Bongo and every evening Adam cooks for Bongo since finding out he has fatty liver and it's A LOT. Trying to find a way around cooking every morning and every night if there is a way around it.
Avian nutrition is very new to me. What do you use to freeze it?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know if you'd call what I make chop but every morning I cook for Bongo and every evening Adam cooks for Bongo since finding out he has fatty liver and it's A LOT. Trying to find a way around cooking every morning and every night if there is a way around it.

Avian nutrition is very new to me. What do you use to freeze it?
I just keep it in the freezer. Mix it, toss into freezer bags in small sections they will last 2-3 days, thaw the night before in the fridge. I usually make enough to last 2-3 months. This last time I just combined already frozen veggies because I was low on time. Then I cooked up some grains and froze those separately.

IMG_20230904_181436_964.jpg IMG_20230904_203044_744.jpg

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I just keep it in the freezer. Mix it, toss into freezer bags in small sections they will last 2-3 days, thaw the night before in the fridge. I usually make enough to last 2-3 months. This last time I just combined already frozen veggies because I was low on time. Then I cooked up some grains and froze those separately.

View attachment 434427 View attachment 434428
Your chop looks really nice. I meant to say that. Now what ingredients are in the second picture?? I'd like to use your idea please.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Your chop looks really nice. I meant to say that. Now what ingredients are in the second picture?? I'd like to use your idea please.
The grains are wheat berries, tricolor quinoa, and wild rice. :)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
The grains are wheat berries, tricolor quinoa, and wild rice. :)
It looks really, really good. Im new to avian nutrition so I really appreciate all the advice and walking me through - Thank you. I'm going to copy your recipes. Do you warm the food up? Or do you serve it at room temp?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks really, really good. Im new to avian nutrition so I really appreciate all the advice and walking me through - Thank you. I'm going to copy your recipes. Do you warm the food up? Or do you serve it at room temp?
I usually serve right out of the fridge and they dive right in. Some birds may need them to warm up a bit first to room temperature, but I've never had an issue. Warm foods can trigger hormonal behaviors and goodness knows I don't need that :lol:

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
Might steal these ideas >:) i usually make fresh chop every morning but maybe i can make a big batch with these ingredients

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I usually serve right out of the fridge and they dive right in. Some birds may need them to warm up a bit first to room temperature, but I've never had an issue. Warm foods can trigger hormonal behaviors and goodness knows I don't need that :lol:
I'll keep that in mind!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Update Ive had success with all of these chops but I think I just may try another. Texas naturals my parrot loves but the woman takes way too long to get it together. Last order took 5 wks. My order from UK got here to MI before the order from Texas. Kind of speechless about that. Does any body know of any other chop makers? I just may have to make my own chop but I'm trying to avoid it.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow I've never had that issue with Texas Freeze Dried and I've been using her for years (I'm also in Michigan). I've shared all of the ones I'm aware of!

Not sure if there are any in my list you haven't seen yet:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
@Mikey&Mia are members here, so if you message them, they may be able to assist you with what you're looking for. They aren't on regularly, but they should get an email alert if you send them a private message, either on here or on facebook. :)