• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do your conures hiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I've been trying to figure this one out... Josie hisses to get my attention. At first I thought it was a warning and would give her some space to keep from getting chomped. Eventually I figured out that she's doing it while leaning forward and acting like she wants to fly to me. If I get closer she hisses some more and then offers her cheek for me to scritch. I guess I'm used to tiels hissing when they're scared or angry! Anyone else's little one do this? :huh:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
The only hissing bird i have is Sonic :) My sun conure doesn't hiss at all. Maybe you can get video:D

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'll try! She gets distracted by the camera and tries to eat it:rolleyes:

I think she was happy when I finally figured it out! I could see the "stupid human, took you long enough!" look on her face:lol:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
no, i've never heard duckie hiss. so interesting! did she used to live with a tiel?

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Cian makes a little puffing/hissing noise when she's excited, and she uses the same 'leaning forward, looking ready to fly' body language that Josie does. :) I thought there was something wrong with her at first. :eek:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Yes. He does it while he's dancing and also when he gets in that intimidating conure pose... Flat feathers on top of head but puffed up cheeks, leaning forward and strutting - you know the one. He never actually bites me when he's in that pose though. He does it when he gets excited, such as when I talk to him really fast and happy or when he's dancing as I said earlier. When he's in his before-flying pose he makes his conure froggy noises.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Cian makes a little puffing/hissing noise when she's excited, and she uses the same 'leaning forward, looking ready to fly' body language that Josie does. :) I thought there was something wrong with her at first.
That sounds like the exact noise she's making! Good to know she's not totally nuts :lol:

He does it while he's dancing and also when he gets in that intimidating conure pose... Flat feathers on top of head but puffed up cheeks, leaning forward and strutting - you know the one.
Oh yes... her "I'm a big bad birdie" dance! Unfortunately she won't bite me but will try to take a chunk out of the DH if he gets too near her when she's worked up. This is the display I often get when we have to wake up earlier in the morning

no, i've never heard duckie hiss. so interesting! did she used to live with a tiel?
From what I understand she was an only bird in her previous home, and I sincerely hope that there are no more birds in his care. He wasn't abusive or particularly neglectful, just woefully uninformed and in over his head. He didn't even take the time to name her in the six months she lived with him. I am grateful, however, that he was able to see his inability to properly care for her and seek out another home. I'm even more grateful that she's here with us! Ornery little chicken melts my heart every day :heart:

Last edited:

millertammy7

Real Name
Tammy Miller
:hehe: My Pepe doesn't hiss, but he's pretty young, and I guess could still learn to!

Paradox81

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dennis
My dads sun conure females would hiss when they were nesting if you came close

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Both of mine hiss all the time. They're crazy!!

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
mine just hissed at me tonight as I was putting the over on her cage, I was leaning in to give her a scritch before bed, it wasn't agressive but it sounded to me that she wanted to e left alone:confused:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup,Nala does when she leans and wants me to pick her up.

Status
Not open for further replies.