• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you worry about if your bird is really happy?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Sometimes I wish my bird could tell me if he is really happy. He does look happy and seems to love me but I have a tendency to overthink things, I guess. I really do try my best to keep him happy and to give him all of my love but seeing all of the amazing bird owners here makes me wonder if I should be doing more, if I really am a good bird owner. Am I the only one feeling this way?

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
You're definitely not alone! I would imagine that many of us, especially here on Avian Avenue, ask ourselves this question every now and then. I think the important thing is that we keep trying to always improve their lives (with love, care, activities, diet, etc.) and appreciate their presence in ours. We can't give them happiness, so to speak, but we can help create the conditions in which their well-being and wellness can flourish. And we can take comfort in knowing that the happier they are, the happier we become :)

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I actually posted this same question last fall. Ultimately I decided that she probably doesn't have the same sense of "happy" that I do. In nature, most important to her would be to feel safe. She has a big cage, lots of toys, and a good diet. She is safe from prey, and gets social time as a bonus. So, I think she is "happy" in her parrot way. But I do worry about it a lot. I feel bad sometimes that I've chosen to have a less domesticated animal as a companion in my home. But in her case, she never lived in the wild so beyond her instincts she doesn't really know anything else.
I always figure the parronts who ask this question are the most loving homes. :heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I always make sure my birds have plenty to do. If they're busy they're happy mentally.
If they go quiet for more than a few hours there's either something wrong physically with one of them or it's time for a change. It keeps me on my toes and happy too. Isn't that what it's all about? Anyone can buy a bird, cage, food and toys and throw them together and expect a happy bird. It takes forethought to design the cage layout and activities that will keep a bird busy and mentally active.
Silence will always get my attention.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Totally! I always wonder if my bird is happy, and I can't help but think about how much happier she would be if she had never been born into captivity. I try to keep things interesting for her by giving her different toys to play with, different foods to try, daily foraging opportunities, along with lots of love. That's the best I can do for her...I just hope it's enough. She seems to be happy, so I'm grateful for that. Oh, and treats and training are other ways I try to keep her mind busy and her belly happy. :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have wondered this, yes. But then I think of all the neglected birds out there that were maybe an impulse buy, or bought for children too young to assume responsibility, or bought as novelty items and then people lost interest, etc. Which makes me very sad to think of all that. Then I look at mine playing, cavorting around the room or cage chattering away and bouncing around, and think.... YEP, those are some happy birdies! :heart:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@sunnysmom @Davi @d_msparkles @Ripshod @AutumnRain @Fergus Mom Thank you so so much for your replies and suggestions to keep our birdies happy! I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone! Your views on the matter are also very true and they reassure me, so thank you again! :heart::hug8:I just started target training Charlie and changed a few things in his cage to keep him on his toes!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just started target training Charlie and changed a few things in his cage to keep him on his toes!

Can't wait to hear how the target training is going!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, I too constantly worry about if they are happy or not.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You're definitely not alone! I would imagine that many of us, especially here on Avian Avenue, ask ourselves this question every now and then. I think the important thing is that we keep trying to always improve their lives (with love, care, activities, diet, etc.) and appreciate their presence in ours. We can't give them happiness, so to speak, but we can help create the conditions in which their well-being and wellness can flourish. And we can take comfort in knowing that the happier they are, the happier we become :)
Well said.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think everyone wonders about this from time to time :)
Very true. I don't think it's a bad thing, though...it's just ourselves reminding ourselves to always be thinking on how we can make our charge's lives better...:)