• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think birds and dogs can live together safely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Depends on the birds and depends on the dogs. See my sig. :)

I have one budgie, Kelp, that is obsessed with the Amber, and has managed to get loose and go find Amber/land on her several times. Now her daughter (Lucy) is starting to try and seek the dogs out too. :eek: Amber just freezes, then runs over to me so I can remove the budgie from her being. Jasper would eat the dogs, but the dogs just give him a respectful distance and all is well. One cat doesn't care at all, and the other lives under the bed and is never around the birds. Quite honestly, my biggest household concern is the big bird - little bird danger Jasper poses to the budgies since he actively dislikes them, and they think they're 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
We have 3 Italian Greyhounds and I trust them with the big birds but don't take the chance when I'm not around. Two of my dogs are not good with the smaller birds. I have to really watch them with my GCC's.

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
Depends on the animals involved. None of my dogs care about my birds or my cats, none of the cats care about the dogs and only one cat would go after a bird if they got half a chance, only because he was a stray just a few months ago and still has that hunting instinct. I've introduced all the dogs and most of the cats to the birds, most give it a sniff and walk away.

k9nurse

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda Oswald
I agree that it depends on the animals. My German Shepherd is fine with all the birds. He just ignores them. My dachshunds are another story. They are high prey driven dogs and are trained to hunt. One of them is a certified blood trailer on deer and all three of them compete in field trials. They are never allowed in the same room as the birds, EVER. I took on the responsibility of all the animals in my house and I take that responsibility very strongly.

~Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.