• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You Talk to Your Cat?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My Christine has been with me now for 16 years. Recently she stopped eating her Rx food and only ate about one or two tablespoons of wet food at night. She lost 3 pounds which is significant for cats. She was also incontinent a few times. She had little energy and I thought she was ready to cross the bridge. Made an appointment at the vet for her to cross the bridge as I did not want to put her through a lot of medical test and treatments.

Night before the appointment I had a long talk with her. Letting her know what would happen if she continued on the downward spiral. Well believe it or not the next morning she woke up and ate a good portion from her food dish and has continued doing so since then. She is playing, grooming and has gained back 2 pounds! No one can tell me she did not understand what I said to her! She is a big girl Maine Coon back to her 13 pounds and purring.

Christine 2.png

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I haven't had a cat in years, but I have definitely talked to all of my pets. I have never had to have such a serious conversation with any of them, though. I'm very glad that yours went well!

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have 5 cats. My oldest, Shadow, will be 16 in a few weeks. He has the beginning stages of kidney failure and high blood pressure. I’m sure he has a few more years left. He is so special to my husband and I. Sort of our first child. I have to remind him every day that he needs to eat and stay strong.

My youngest cat is 2 and he is a Shadow clone. Exact same personality. Outgoing and always getting into trouble. Just an amazing cat. I’m not even a tiny bit religious, but have no doubt that he is here to help us get through these last few years with Shadow. I thank him everyday for choosing me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are there people out there that don't talk to their cats?? lol

My Jasmine is 16 too. Recently developed allergies to chicken, turkey, fish, and can't tolerate grains. She's losing a lot of muscle mass in her hind legs these days. I still think she has a few more years to give but we'll see. She's been with me literally half my life and I don't know what I'll do when she's gone. She's been my best friend through all the lowest points in my life.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Are there people out there that don't talk to their cats?? lol

My Jasmine is 16 too. Recently developed allergies to chicken, turkey, fish, and can't tolerate grains. She's losing a lot of muscle mass in her hind legs these days. I still think she has a few more years to give but we'll see. She's been with me literally half my life and I don't know what I'll do when she's gone. She's been my best friend through all the lowest points in my life.
I'm wondering if there are people who don't talk to their cats too and if so, why lol! I got my first cat when I was 8 I think and of course my parents helped me care for her etc. We now have 7 kitties, all indoor. They all get along, no spraying etc. They're just literally the best, can always tell when you're sick or feeling sad and come over to snuggle.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What a wonderfull story:heart::heart:
I talk to my cats all the time too. We used to have 7 cats when I was growing up, I always had a kitty to snuggle with every time(a different one for Each day of the week:lol:Just kidding, not all liked to cuddle) I went to sleep.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She is doing better but not eating as much as before. I tend to think this is due to her age.

For Jasmine this is definitely an issue lately. She used to be my fat cat and is now too thin.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, I talk to my cats, my dogs, and my parrots. Atleast they truly understand me even if they don't they act like it! :rofl::blahblah:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm glad your pep talk helped. She's a pretty girl. I'm partial to Maine Coons, but the bengals and Thais are my favorites. I talk to my two, but they are rotten as can be. Somehow, Gabriel is able to take over my queen bed. He's 15 pounds of solid muscle.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
I have 5 cats. My oldest, Shadow, will be 16 in a few weeks. He has the beginning stages of kidney failure and high blood pressure. I’m sure he has a few more years left. He is so special to my husband and I. Sort of our first child. I have to remind him every day that he needs to eat and stay strong.

My youngest cat is 2 and he is a Shadow clone. Exact same personality. Outgoing and always getting into trouble. Just an amazing cat. I’m not even a tiny bit religious, but have no doubt that he is here to help us get through these last few years with Shadow. I thank him everyday for choosing me.
This sounds very familiar! But sort of in a different way, lol.

I have 4 cats, the oldest is 15+ (unknown for sure, vet's guess) and the youngest turns 1 year tomorrow. We had a sudden loss the day after Christmas 2016, my 5 year-old boy had sudden kidney failure after going in for urinary issues the week before. The steroid shot they gave him just helped mask his slow decline. Looking back, my SO and I can remember that he didn't always drink so much water, but he just slowly got more interested in it. His disposition never changed until he suddenly strained to urinate. He was a very happy-go-lucky kind of cat, very social and loving and playful. His best friend was my chihuahua-mix.

It was very fast from there and there wasn't anything we could do to reverse it. We grieved heavily and I selected a kitten to bring home a few months later. We had two siamese (from my SO) and two black and white kitties, one short-hair and one fluffy (mine), and it was the short-hair that passed. I selected a blue siamese two suit the other two in temperament, as the fluffy cat we know will be gone in the next few years.

To shorten this story (I'm sorry!), that little kitten has grown into such a clone of our past cat! He plays with the dog, who was broken when his buddy was gone. He gets along well with the other cats, and is actually the nephew of one of our cats. :D The old fluffy cat is a good influence on the new cat before he leaves this world, too. He is the most cuddly cat that everyone loves to hold and he prefers meeting new people over his friends.

Siamese are very vocal as a breed. I have always talked to all of my animals over the years, and the current group is no exception.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Of course I talk to my cats. No one else will listen.

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
I am always talking to our three...and I believe they know exactly what I say to them...and yes, Siamese are very vocal. Lol