• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you recommend blood work + polyomavirus on a new parrot?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Hi everyone, I guess this is a sorta general question but I go a Brown Headed Parrot so I wanted to post here.

As the title suggests, do you guys recommend getting blood work done for psittacosis, beak and feather, and polyoma? I got my bird from Omar's Exotic Birds in Southern California.

I asked if they do any of this and they said NO because they have tested the parents and they are clean. Obviously it does not mean that their kids will be as well.

He is about 11 weeks old, DNA sexed for a male, the only bird in the house, but I do have a dog (will keep separated 100%).

Please advise. Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have other birds in your home?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well psittacosis can be passed onto people in the home, so it is definitely something I do.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
I do not have any other birds at home.

I will likely end up doing the blood work.

What about the poly vacc?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, every bird should always have a well bird exam and then be vaccinated for Polyoma and checked for all three diseases, it's standard operating procedure every time you get a bird. It doesn't matter what the store did for the parents, you only care about the bird you are bringing into your house and what was done for him/her. You always want a base blood panel done so you know what normal is for your bird. If you have test results and vaccine info on the bird from the previous owner or pet store that is within a year, you can probably pass on everything else but I would do those tests if they can't provide it for you.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Yes, every bird should always have a well bird exam and then be vaccinated for Polyoma and checked for all three diseases, it's standard operating procedure every time you get a bird. It doesn't matter what the store did for the parents, you only care about the bird you are bringing into your house and what was done for him/her. You always want a base blood panel done so you know what normal is for your bird. If you have test results and vaccine info on the bird from the previous owner or pet store that is within a year, you can probably pass on everything else but I would do those tests if they can't provide it for you.

Thank you. :)