• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you know where your tarantula is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
did the title get your attention? :dance5:

We have a large female Lasiodora Parahybana (Brazilian Salmon) tarantula living in a planted 55 gallon tank in our bedroom. She's normally quiet, but every once in a while, she'll go marauding across her dry leaves in the middle of the night.

The other night, I got up to get snacks, and I found Miss Leggy Thang in the middle of the floor, with her front legs up ready to GO! I mean she was exploring and she was in fight or flight mode ! I had to wrangle her for a minute, but I was able to pick her back up. Christie thankfully didnt even notice until I picked her up and shoveled her back into the tank! :rofl: She WOULD have been making more noise than Aussie! :D She's telling me that she would have probably lost control of whatever she had at the time! :rofl:

Lets just say Christie was not thrilled and checked often as to the spiders whereabouts afterwards. :rofl: She even called from work to see if I had fixed the lid or not. :dance5: She just reminded me that I have not yet done it! :omg::hehe::hehe::dancing: :heart:

That big spider (only about 9"+ legspan) had PUSHED part of the lid open! It is a glass lid for a fish tank, but I have that 2" plastic spacer in the back (for jumping fish in a fish tank) to keep her in. She had pushed it up and sqeezed under it! i have no CLUE how she got the body strength to push that out of the way!

I have a couple of towels and a pair of size 14 shoes sitting on it now to keep her in it!

Here's a picture of her, so if anybody sees her, catch her and send her to me! :cool::D

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
If I woke up to find that thing in my room I would.. er... not be thrilled LOL. I can handle most things, but big spiders and snakes are not on thats list....

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
wow- she's beautiful and to answer your question - yep, I know where mine is - AT YOUR HOUSE :rofl::rofl::rofl:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMG!!!! I would freak out! I give credit to your wife..I dont' think I could live with one in the house!

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
:D I'm still having ALOT of fun with it! She shivers all over the place whenever I mention it, and she had to take a picture of it to work!

Every once in a while I'll look over at her with big puppy dog eyes and ask lovingly "is the spider still in her cage?". :bounce2: :rofl:

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Well no I don't I was going to buy the zebra we had at work but it is an escape artist as well and has been MIA for about 4 months now with the occasional sighting... The best part is my manager is arachnophobic:rofl:

Last edited:

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
:lol: That just made me laugh. I picture people in my household doing that.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
:faint: Looks like Aragog on the loose!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I really like tarantulas. We have zillions of them here in AZ. big fuzzy cream puffs.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
hahahahahahahahaha

When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and lived in the barracks I had a couple of "pet" tarantulas that I picked up off the road.

I had a fridge in my room and several of my good friends had keys.

One of my friends is terrified of anything spider. I didn't know when I first got them. She got over her fear enough to go into my room since they were in a glass aquarium.

One day I get panic calls from her. Apparently one of the tarantulas was missing.

From them on there was a brick on top of the lid.

OH man the memories of those fun days. Thanks for that!!

Oh and turns out the missing one was under my fridge. He crawled out around dusk. ehhehehehe

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HAHAHAHAH We had an escapee Chaco Golden Knee a few years ago. I couldnt find him for 2 days. My husband was not the wiser..soon after he made me get rid of the tarantulas. We had 3, but I guess with birds, kids,dogs...they were not smart to have in an NON escape proof container. So NOW...I am wanting to make my book shelf into a large cage system..he doesnt know..shhhh. Here are some pics of the T's we had.
Suburban Jungle Rescue took them to place in homes.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Well knoe I don't I was going to buy the zebra we had at work but it is an escape artist as well and has been MIA for about 4 months now with the occasional sighting... The best part is my manager is arachnophobic:rofl:

HAHHHH Thats awesome. :hehe:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
The first time I ever saw a trantula was in the sink in my room in a Japanese inn...where everyone goes barefoot and sleeps on the floor! My roomie & I immediately ran for help. Of course neither of us knew how to say "big spider" in Japanese. So we dragged the poor maid back to our room to show her. Naturally, there was no spider in the sink anymore. :omg: Too bad I can't demonstrate how two supposedly mature women tried to pantomime "big spider" to the maid! I finally looked it up in the dictionary & told the maid what had been in our sink. She just giggled and said, in Japanese, "It's alright!". And left. The only way I got my friend to sleep in the room that night was to convince her that the spider had come up throgh the drain in the first place & had just gone back down again. I put the stopper in the sink & managed to convince her she was safe. Course I didn't believe a word of what I'd said. That was 40 years ago, but I still remember how to say "big spider" in Japanese...it's what I heard a couple of maids (not the one who had come to our room) snicker under their breath as we passed them in the hall the next morning: oki kumo :rofl:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Yep, my rose hair is in her planted tank in the dining room. :) See:

My BF has told me that if my snakes or spider ever makes it into bed with him, then they have to go, lol.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
*cringes*

eeeek. While i can respect them and all, spiders are pretty much the ONE animal that gets to me. Those big pet ones would be the ONE thing i couldn't live with. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.