1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Discussion in 'The Airport' started by Birdlover, 11/12/09.

?

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

1. yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

395 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No, my bird(s) are clipped

54 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

128 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

63 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Night

Night Meeting neighbors

Shelby
    I wasn't aware of the controversy of clipping vs non clipping. What do you all do with other pets? Until your younger birds learn how to steer properly, what about when they fall near animals that could harm them?

2. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road

Tanya
    Grab the dog by the collar.

Seriously, I've been letting everybirdie's wings grow out, which is taking a while. In the meantime, got a puppy that is very birdie. So when the birds land near her (including one recent dash INTO the dog pen) I grab the DOG. Not the bird. Instinct says grab the bird, so it's been interesting.

The ones that are just now flighted for the first time are taking some time to learn to steer and land. LOL

Animallover03 likes this.
  3. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

If I think another pet is a high risk for trying to catch a bird, I put the other pet in a different room. My cat can't resist parrotlets so she is put out on the enclosed porch while little birds are out. As for babies and other pets that can harm them, you just don't let that happen. Period. If you have other pets, its on you to make sure they are safe. I've had full flighted babies fly straight into a dog before and land on them. I've had clipped birds flutter to the ground and nearly miss getting eaten by a yorkie because they weren't able to fly back up fast enough with a clip. Clipped or flighted, you have to decide which is right for you as both pose some hazards. My near misses have been misses because I was there and scooped up the bird before disaster had a chance to happen. And when I mean right there, I was practically on top of the dog. Not in another room doing the dishes. Dogs, cats, ferrets and rats are a hazard to pet birds. Some more so than others. My current dog is pretty trustworthy, but he's in another room if birds are out unsupervised. The cat depends on the species, but she's also put somewhere else when certain birds are out.

4. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

The only other pets I have in the house are my dogs, of which they go outside when the birds are out. But my smaller dogs are terrified of my birds and usually go hide in another room if I have to have the birds out (which isn't very often when the dogs are in...only if it's heavy rain or extreme heat/cold).

5. fireball249

fireball249 Meeting neighbors

My other pets are always behind closed doors when the bird is out. And the bird is in her cage with door closed and locked when the others are out. Not taking any chances with a freak accident occuring. It only takes once.

6. Cassiopejaz

Cassiopejaz Walking the driveway

Daniel
    Both Toby and Jack are full flighted and never been clipped..and its against law to clip Birds in Sweden.

JLcribber and SandraK like this.
  7. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Secret Spy I Can't Stop Posting!

Sandra
    Interesting to know. As far as I know in the U.S. a bird "owner" can do pretty much anything to the bird in the way of clipping wings, etc. I will sometimes have certain birds wings clipped if they are becoming too aggressive to other birds in the flock (e.g. gccs or sun conure). The only ones I never clip are the tiels because they need to be able to fly away from any one attacking.

Animallover03 and Cassiopejaz like this.
  8. Cassiopejaz

Daniel
    The laws in Sweden are pretty strict..u are not allowed to have 1 Bird, must have 2 unless u are home 24/7.

Handfeeding is also against law but its a law that is broken alot.

The cage size is determind depending on ur Bird size..wich is a good law.

And as said wingclipping is not allowed.

There is Most likely some more laws but cant Keep track of them all hehe

In some way clipping Toby would be good, he isnt a great flyer, he have a tendency to miss the landingsspot or how to explain it.
    He is aggressive against Jack wich i learnt is typical of Pois.
    I cant have both out at same time so i must divide their out of cage time and i must Always have an eye on Toby or he might go to Jacks cage and try to bite..Jack doesnt Care about Toby...he just wanna fool around and play.

9. Dragonseer

Dragonseer Walking the driveway

Those two laws seem strict in comparison to what I'm used to here in the U.S.

I think that the first law mentioned is good in many ways; still, I suspect that many adoptable birds may remain in a shelter, if people who'd be willing to adopt one bird aren't allowed to do so.

I'm surprised that hand-feeding caged birds is against the law anywhere, to be honest. Do you know why it's illegal to do so in Sweden?

I agree that this is a good law.

SandraK and Cassiopejaz like this.
  10. Cassiopejaz

Daniel
    The law is probaly the biggest reason why Parrots isnt so common in Sweden.

I actually dont know why its illegal...cuz i cant see any reason why it should be illegal.
    The situation where handfeeding is allowed, and Thats if the parents are sick or worse dead.

SandraK likes this.
  11. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Secret Spy I Can't Stop Posting!

Sandra
    I'm assuming that the handfeeding being illegal is to try to stop people from selling baby birds that are unweaned and cannot eat by themselves, thereby hopefully preventing deaths.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)