• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 548 66.0%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.6%

• Total voters

Erin:)

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Erin
My Senegal has full flight but rarely flies. She doesn't like anyone in the house (except me), but she would never make a flighted attack. The rest of the fids must have clipped wings because they all fly to her cage, and that resulted in the loss of a toe one time. I don't understand the atraction to her cage, but it's a danger zone. We will see if my new baby has the sense to stay away from her cage....

Maeslou

Real Name
Maegan
My Senegal has full flight but rarely flies. ....
Cooper is the same way. He has gotten a little more confident watching PQ the cockatiel who came to live with us fully furnished with wings. Since PQ was found outside, I didn't feel right clipping his wings when he relied so heavily on his ability to zoom around. It's been almost a year since he has been with us and for several months now he has had free reign of the bedroom. His mood immediately improved as did his activity level. It's only been recently that we have opened all the cage doors and have allowed Gibby the parakeet and Cooper to fly between cages as they please. :)

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Since I got T-Rex (who is fully flighted and is getting pretty good at flying :) ) I've been wondering how flighted big macaws manage in a normal home environment with doorways and corridors and such, isn't their wingspan too large to pass through? (sorry if this seems like a silly question but T-Rex is much smaller than a macaw and sometimes he seems to need to squeeze through doorways :p)
Here's a vid of her going around a corner and then through a doorway. It took some practice...She's only been able to go completely around a corner on cue for about 2 months now. I started corner work the beginning of March.
:faint:

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Here's a vid of her going around a corner and then through a doorway. It took some practice...She's only been able to go completely around a corner on cue for about 2 months now. I started corner work the beginning of March.
Gorgeous!

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
My birdies (budgies), being as tiny as they are, have no problem "squeezing" through doorways. They have a blast flying!:)

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
My African Grey is fully flighted. My Alexandrine's wing got damaged; he is no longer capable of flight but is not clipped. So, yes, he would fly if he could.

illuminate

My budgies and my canary winged parakeet (bee bee) are all fully flighted. The bee bee was clipped when I got her, and she's been growing out her flights and learning to fly really well. She's getting better at it every day.

Our two baby tiels were also clipped when we got them, so they're clumsy babies right now, but once their flights grow back they'll also be flighted birds.

SnapV

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Virginie
Wow! She's very good ☺ it's impressive!

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
My bird is full flighted, she only gets clipped if I really need to limit her from flying around for a while (such as if she's been having a lot of night frights or is getting too sassy and flying away constantly) but otherwise she gets her freedom. She doesn't come on command, but she happily lets me pick her up, and it's practically become a game to her to fly a short distance away and have me come get her.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Both of my birds are fully flighted and I plan on keeping them that way. Gracie will follow me from room to room with no issue and just kinda does her own thing. We don't really let Bo out because of his social issues and his fright problems.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I AM NOT SURE WHAT EVERY ONE CALLS CAGE BOUND BUT MY LITTLE GIRL IS IN MY EYES CAGE BOUND DOOR IS OPEN SHES OUT ON CAGE BUT WONT LEAVE IT

SHE HAS FLOWEN TO ME ONLY TO RETURN RIGHT AWAY TO CAGE SHE FLYS AROUND ROOM BUT ONLY LANDS ON CAGE .

I INTEND TO HAVE HER FREE IT IS GOING TO TAKE TIME BUT TIME WE HAVE . FIRST STEP IS PLACING HER FOOT TOYS ON PARROT STAND ,,LOL SHE WONT GO THERE FOR FOOD SO HOPPING FOOT TOYS GET HER MOVING , EVERY THING IS SLOW PACE . I WANT HER FREE AS SHE CAN BE CAUSE THIS IS HER HOME AS WELL AS MINE

oliver58

Checking out the neighborhood
It should definitely be up to each person's situation and it is their choice. No one should ever feel 'blasted' for their decision to clip or not. They are afterall, your birds!:hug8:
A scenario to compare- Docking{dogs ears and tails}-declawing-cats
Some believe these practices are perfectly ok. I disagree, and would never subject any animal of mine to it. .

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
It should definitely be up to each person's situation and it is their choice. No one should ever feel 'blasted' for their decision to clip or not.
Agreed.

A scenario to compare- Docking{dogs ears and tails}-declawing-cats
Some believe these practices are perfectly ok. I disagree, and would never subject any animal of mine to it. .
There's a slight difference in docking and declawing, though, in that those removed parts don't grow back. Declawing is worse, IMO, since the first "knuckles" are removed; for this reason, cats must learn to balance themselves on "stubbier" feet, for lack of better term. At least birds' flight feathers can regrow, though I realize that some birds may opt not to fly, if they've been clipped from a young age and/or for a long time.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
True, it is each owner's choice and I do not condone cropping, docking and especially declawing but...
It should be noted that cropping and docking are simply cosmetic and have no real impact on the animal's health whereas clipping a bird's wings rendering it unable to fly or only fly partially is detrimental to their physical and mental health.
Declawing is awful and can potential raise health/quality of life concerns but they are minimal when compared to a bird who cannot not fly.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles was clipped when he came to me, but he is such an amazing little flier anyway and I plan on letting him be fully flighted :)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Ours are all fully flighted although paco is a terrible flier and just crashes into the nearest wall. Poor thing! We practice with him, but he freaks out and truly hates flying. He screams when we try to have him fly back and forth between my husband and me, so after 8 years of trying we pretty much have given up. I'm sure he wasn't fledged as a baby and he was older when we got him at a flea market, so we don't know really anything about him.

The other three are great fliers and are very agile, even the big macaws!

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Ace, Sense and Lily are all clipped for the time-being, but we're going to let their flights grow back in. Pepper and Bellini both have their flights grown in (mostly). Bellini doesn't care much for flying but I think if we clipped Pepper again he'd get depressed. He loves flying and to take it away from him would be to take away his freedom and source of exercise.