• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you ever feel guilty about aviculture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I was thinking about this today, I feel really guilty for my birds- especially my budgie. They would be so much happier in a large aviary, being the birds that they are and having a real mate bond.
There is only so much I can do.. I feel selfish to keep them in here.

If someone had a large garden aviary for budgies and other small birds, I think I would consider it.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yes, I do. I also feel bad about my fish tanks. But I don't feel that way all the time, just some days.

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I do. And actually, shortly after I got Prudence, and could see how terrified my Budgies and Finch were of her (16 all together) a friend agreed to take them into her Aviary. Its a whole large room they live in now, so I feel a little better.

But I work in the vet industry, and alot of my co workers believe keeping birds in cages is cruel and un necessary, so sometimes Im made to feel guilty about owning them. But other times I figure, if I didnt, someone else would.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
My birds have a better home with me than where they came from...keep that in mind

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Absolutely, yes.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
every morning i wake up and every night i go to bed....

Set

Walking the driveway
I seem to be the odd one out in that I don't feel guilty at all.
I do my best. My birds seem happy. There's really nothing else I could do. And if you're doing you're best and you have the knowledge to have a happy, healthy bird, I just can't see a reason to be feeling guilty. Especially the people on here; you guys do so much for your birds. More than I do, that's for sure. They're probably some of the happiest animals that are owned by people. I absolutely look up to most people on here, and strive to do what you do for my own birds.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I do.
Bea wants so bad to be a mother, and Kiwi my macaw, seems so lonely all the time.
If we get a bigger place, Kiwi is getting a friend, I don't care what I have to do to make it happen, she will have that.
Newman is happy.
It seems I worry about the females more.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yes, but there isn't anything we can do about the past, the present and future we CAN fix and make better and improve. There are some species of birds that should NOT be in a normal "pet bird" household, where as others do better. And as some said, they are better off and happier with me now than in their previous home, so if you didn't have the fids you do, they could be somewhere else and suffering :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When you consider how many birds died during import, it makes you sick with grief and deep anger. When you consider that most birds in captivity are not cared for properly, it makes you sad. Aviculture is very saddening. Which is why I say is focus on the here and now and improving the care captive birds receive and hopefully enforce stronger laws to improve their future.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I often feel guilty about the state of aviculture. I'm happy enough with how I care for my birds because I know I do my best and they're pretty happy. But how can I not feel awful for my birds when they sit by the screened window and look out longingly, chirping with the wild birds? I feel guilty as a human, because humans ripped these beautiful creatures from the wild in the first place.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
I do sometimes, but when I do, I get sick to my stomach...then I go love them some more....

paulievonbeaker

Walking the driveway
I do feel guilty, in a bigger picture kind of way.

But in reality, Sylvia was born in Michigan, not in Africa.

She is respected, she goes outside, she has control over her environment, she is entertained, she is free to move about the house when we are home (99% of the time) and she is loved. And now, she even has a friend of her own species (actually, that makes it a little better to me). If she had the choice right now, she would stay with me. I know she would.

And she will fly again, it still upsets me greatly that she is clipped. I can't wait til she can fly again. THAT will make me feel better...

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have second thoughts all the time about my Budgies and Cockatiels being in aviaries, even though at the time it may have seemed they will be happier.

Shawn

Walking the driveway
Every single day. Although I strive to give them more than than they would ever need/want/require, quite honestly, I would give them all up if ownership of birds were illegal. And what I mean by that (for clarification) is that if making ownership of any bird were illegal, and I had to give up my birds in order to do so, I would.

Against popular belief, and very hypocritical, I know, and I accept it, but it is the way I feel.

Last edited:

GlassOnion

I don't feel bad about parrots that are well trained, mastered free flight, and have regular outings and tons of enrichment, as well as another bird in the household for companionship.

The fact that my budgie is not bonded to me and she's doomed to be in a carrier even when I take her outside, makes my chest feel heavy.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
All the time. It's human arrogance at its finest. Keeping any undomesticated animal captive makes me sad, but with parrots it's much worse because they are so intelligent, sensitive, and long-lived. But at the same time, that guilt makes me strive to be a better parrot owner. This captive life is all they will know and I want them to have the best possible life in this situation. At least they won't be killed by a predator, captured by a poacher, poisoned by pesticides, or ever go hungry/thirsty in my care. I feel selfish that companion parrots bring me such immeasurable joy while they may be happier in the wild where they belong.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I seem to be the odd one out in that I don't feel guilty at all.
I do my best. My birds seem happy. There's really nothing else I could do. And if you're doing you're best and you have the knowledge to have a happy, healthy bird, I just can't see a reason to be feeling guilty. Especially the people on here; you guys do so much for your birds. More than I do, that's for sure. They're probably some of the happiest animals that are owned by people. I absolutely look up to most people on here, and strive to do what you do for my own birds.
It's not so much about the compassionate members here who do strive to do their utmost to "try" and provide the best they can.

It's feeling guilty about this "industry" called aviculture where innocent, helpless beings are "farmed" in very "factory" type situations which have nothing to do with what's good and right for the birds involved. What it "is" about is feeding basic greedy human "want" to have/possess/enslave another creature for the sole purpose of satisfying that selfishness. And don't forget about why the industry does it. The money.

Just my strongly opinionated feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.