• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do white wing brotogeris have a preen oil gland

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
i was researching the white wing brotogeris and wanted to know if they have a preen oil gland?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
AFAIK, Amazons and some macaws (Hyacinths and Spix's are the ones I can remember off the top of my head) are the only parrot species without uropygial glands.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I’ve heard they have not (a person on a CWP group said their vet said they didn’t)! I have looked myself and haven’t been able to find it, so I’m curious to see if this is true!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
MOST species of birds do have them.

"Some or all species in at least nine families of birds lack a uropygial gland, mostly the ones unable to fly or the ones that produce powder down for feather maintenance.These include kiwis (Apterygidae), emu (Dromaiidae), ostriches (Struthionidae), rheas (Rheidae), cassowaries (Casuariidae), mesites (Mesitornithidae), bustards (Otididae), pigeons and doves (Columbidae), amazon parrots (Psittacidae), frogmouths (Podargidae), and woodpeckers (Picidae). These birds typically find other means to stay clean and dry, such as taking a dust bath. Researchers have been unable to correlate the presence or absence of the uropygial gland with factors such as distribution, climate, ecology, or flightlessness."

Uropygial gland - Wikipedia

Among the psittacine species that do not possess a uropygial gland are the hyacinth macaw, Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus , the Lear's macaw, Anodorhynchus leari, and the Spix's macaw, Cyanopsitta spixii. All of the parrots in the genus Amazona also do not posses a uropygial gland. The gland is present in the other psittacine species. The gland is also present in canaries and most finches.

Diseases of the Uropygial Gland

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Great info, all my birds have the oil gland, 5 Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlet, & regent parrot. I can’t have the powder down birds because it triggers my asthma. So I have to be careful before bringing any new birds home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Interesting, I will have to read more!

Btw, just because they have an oil gland doesn't mean they don't produce dust. Cockatoos and greys both have an oil gland and also produce powder down.

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Does anyone find their canary wings dusty? Similar to a cockatiel?

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Thanks I sent a message

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Mine definetly isn’t that dusty! They’re related to amazons, so they have a slight dust, but my asthmatic brother doesn’t have a problem with it. I also just found an article that says they do not have a preening gland :)